Pre prohibition?

For my next brew I would like to do the pre proh. The recipe asks to soak the corn at 120. Do I soak in the pot, or before the mash, drain in pot, then start mash? I just started doing all grain this year. Made 3. 2 were good and somehow one went bad.

Google up cereal mashing. Pretty easy, but using pre-gelatinized (aka “flaked”) maize is even easier. I make a pre pro pils and have tried using both and can’t tell a difference.

I’ve used instant grits, Mexican masarepa, Indo/Paki Corn or Rice Poha, corn flour, and even cornstarch. All with equally great results. And none of them require any special preps or handling…just right into the mash as is, with the barley malt.

I’ve used instant grits, Mexican masarepa, Indo/Paki Corn or Rice Poha, corn flour, and even cornstarch. All with equally great results. And none of them require any special preps or handling…just right into the mash as is, with the barley malt.[/quote]

or flaked maize

What’s the recipe?

Are you referring to the Northern Brewer Pre-Prohibition kit?

What type of corn are you using?

I’ve used instant grits, Mexican masarepa, Indo/Paki Corn or Rice Poha, corn flour, and even cornstarch. All with equally great results. And none of them require any special preps or handling…just right into the mash as is, with the barley malt.[/quote]

or flaked maize[/quote]

Right, Denny.
I should have clarified that the ‘Poha’ to which I referred (obtained from the many Indo/Paki supermarkets where I live) actually IS simple, plain flaked maize .
A pretty good deal, too…a 2lb bag is usually around $1.50 to $2.00. The rice version is just a little more, but still very inexpensive.

In central NJ (where there is a very large Asian/Southeast Asian population), it is even sold is some of the regular mainstream East Coast regional chain supermarkets like Stop-N Shop, ShopRite, A&P, PathMark, and Foodtown.

[quote=“The Professor”]

Right, Denny.
I should have clarified that the ‘Poha’ to which I referred (obtained from the many Indo/Paki supermarkets where I live) actually IS simple, plain flaked maize .
A pretty good deal, too…a 2lb bag is usually around $1.50 to $2.00. The rice version is just a little more, but still very inexpensive.

In central NJ (where there is a very large Asian/Southeast Asian population), it is even sold is some of the regular mainstream East Coast regional chain supermarkets like Stop-N Shop, ShopRite, A&P, PathMark, and Foodtown.[/quote]

Hey, I just learned something! Thanks!

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“The Professor”]

Right, Denny.

In central NJ (where there is a very large Asian/Southeast Asian population), it is even sold is some of the regular mainstream East Coast regional chain supermarkets like Stop-N Shop, ShopRite, A&P, PathMark, and Foodtown.[/quote]

Hey, I just learned something! Thanks![/quote]

He is “The Professor”. :wink:

What’s the recipe?

What type of corn are you using?[/quote]
I WAS PLANNNING ON USING THE nb KIT.

What’s the recipe?

What type of corn are you using?[/quote]
I WAS PLANNNING ON USING THE nb KIT.[/quote] sorry for the yelling.

The recipe doesn’t ask you to “soak the corn”, instead it asks you to do a protein rest @122F.

The kit includes flaked maize which can be placed directly in the mash with the barley.

The protein rest isn’t required. They list it because of the six row barley. Modern six-row will mash just fine w/o it.

Do a single infusion mash @148-150F for 90min. (To give the high amount of enzymes in the barley time to work on the corn.)

Are you prepared to ferment at lager temperatures? You’ll need to keep the fermentation @55F or less.

Also, pitch at least two packets of dry yeast or make a starter if you’re using the liquid yeast.

[quote=“stickboy”]The recipe doesn’t ask you to “soak the corn”, instead it asks you to do a protein rest @122F.

The kit includes flaked maize which can be placed directly in the mash with the barley.

The protein rest isn’t required. They list it because of the six row barley. Modern six-row will mash just fine w/o it.

Do a single infusion mash @148-150F for 90min. (To give the high amount of enzymes in the barley time to work on the corn.)

Are you prepared to ferment at lager temperatures? You’ll need to keep the fermentation @55F or less.

Also, pitch at least two packets of dry yeast or make a starter if you’re using the liquid yeast.[/quote]

All good advice^^^^^

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“stickboy”]The recipe doesn’t ask you to “soak the corn”, instead it asks you to do a protein rest @122F.

Also, pitch at least two packets of dry yeast or make a starter if you’re using the liquid yeast.[/quote]

All good advice^^^^^[/quote]
I do have a good place. I have done lagers before. I have different yeasts for flavors. Lagers are where I tried liquid yeast.Thank you for all the imput.