Potassium sorbate Question?

Hello I am wondering if one can use potassium sorbate in there beer to stop Hop Creep in there highly dry-hopped beer’s??

Hop creep is not a given. What yeast and hop are you using? I have yet to encounter it.

1 Like

Oh ok I thought it happen when ever you do a large dry-hopping like with double IPA’s an NEIPA’s…

As @squeegeethree said I too have never experienced it but I keg which makes it more difficult.

There is very little known about what yeast and hops create hop creep. However you could treat your beer with potassium sorbate to prevent new fermentation.

1 Like

No, this will not work, as sorbate does not kill yeast, only neuters them. Any live active yeast will remain live and active as normal. The yeast isn’t in a replication phase at the tail end of fermentation.

Correct you would also need to add potassium metabisulfate.

No, metabisulfite only kills bacteria and some wild yeasts, but it doesn’t hurt commercial yeast but it does piss them off and make them generate a lot of sulfur byproducts. Sorbate is the better idea… but even it won’t work. Yes I have tried it myself.

I’ve treated many beers and ciders with both to back sweeten and have had success.

1 Like