Pitching yeast at the correct temp?

Yesterday was my second time brewing. I went into it a little more confident than my batch last week but have come across new questions about yeast pitching temperature.

The directions on my American Icon Ale (extract kit) say to pitch the yeast at 78° or lower. So I pitched the yeast once the wort got down to 78°. It stayed at this temp for the rest of the evening.

This morning I notice two things:

1 - The temp dropped to 70°.

2 - The fermometer shows the range for ale is 60°-74°. This seems to directly contradict the directions from the kit.

I imagine the beer will turn out OK but would I have gotten better results by letting the temp drop to 70° before pitching the yeast?

Also, why the contradiction in temp info?

Thanks!

The simple answer is because kit instructions suck. They’re there to make it as easy as possible for a new brewer, but it is not the best way to make beer. It’s acceptable, but not ideal.

Most people will tell you to get it a few degrees below your fermentation temperature. So, if you are going to ferment at 68, cool it to 65 and pitch. It takes longer to cool it, but the result will be happier yeast and better beer.

That’s a bummer.

What is the negative side effect to pitching at a temp that is too high? Poor taste?

Off flavors from stressed yeast creating additional esters or phenolics, and worst case some fusel alcohols. It will clean up with time, though. It’s common for a beer to improve over several weeks in the bottle, so don’t be too concerned if you try it and it’s not what you were hoping for. :cheers:

Thanks!

In general, you want the wort at or a bit below fermentation temp when you pitch. Fermentation is exothermic and creates heat, so you want to compensate for that. Also, most yeast manufacturers give temp ranges that I feel are too high for really great beer. In general, for an ale, I recommend pitching when the wort is about 63-65F.

Why do you suppose they give temps that are so much higher?

Denny, I’m really glad that you stated it this way. It seems the mantra of “pitch below fermentation temperature and let it rise” seems to get repeated over and over again that it is just becoming the way it is done.

I’m coming to the conclusion, though, that if you can control your fermentation temperature, that you want to pitch at your fermentation temperature. There is really no benefit of pitching low - all it does is prolong the lag phase and allows the opportunity for something else to grow in there before the yeast take over.

Just my experience so far, others’ results may vary.

Because the yeast becomes active more quickly. That gives you a sense of security, but IMO doesn’t make the best beer.

Denny, I’m really glad that you stated it this way. It seems the mantra of “pitch below fermentation temperature and let it rise” seems to get repeated over and over again that it is just becoming the way it is done.

I’m coming to the conclusion, though, that if you can control your fermentation temperature, that you want to pitch at your fermentation temperature. There is really no benefit of pitching low - all it does is prolong the lag phase and allows the opportunity for something else to grow in there before the yeast take over.

Just my experience so far, others’ results may vary.[/quote]

Keep in mind that there is no separate lag phase per se. The Crabtree Effect says that in the presence of a >.5% glucose solution, fermentation begins immediately.

Oh, absolutely, I agree with you on that. But everything happens faster at higher temperatures, and I believe that the 3-4 degrees difference does make a bit of a difference in terms of getting the yeast going.

That makes sense.

Do you put the carboy is a cooler in warmer months?

Yep! If you’re just getting into brewing, check into “swamp coolers”. It’s probably the single most important thing a new brewer can do to improve their beer.

Short lag times are WAY overrated IMO. I’ve had lags of up to 72 hours, which made me nervous but didn’t affect the beer.

Do you put the carboy is a cooler in warmer months?[/quote]

Well, I prefer buckets to carboys, but yeah. Actually, I do that no matter what the seasopn. I have a 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer with a dual stage temp controller.

Short lag times are WAY overrated IMO. I’ve had lags of up to 72 hours, which made me nervous but didn’t affect the beer.[/quote]

That’s good to hear, I thought I was the only one. My last two were a repitch of 1084 and took 48+ hours to see action.
I did pitch about 60*.

It is comforting to see something going on in a few hours though.

I have been thinking a little more about this statement and I have a question. What temp do you shoot for when fermenting ale? 68?

Thanks!

I have been thinking a little more about this statement and I have a question. What temp do you shoot for when fermenting ale? 68?

Thanks![/quote]

63-65 for the first 4-7 days. Then I raise the temp to 70ish for a few days to be sure it’s finished. Most ester production happens in the first 48-72 hours, so after that it’s safe to raise temp. Once the beer hits FG, I crash it to 33F for a few days to clear and condition.