Pint glasses

What size glass do you people drink out of? Some places sell half pints that I like because I can try maybe 4 beers at a pub instead of 2. In my beer cellar I often drink from my 4oz taster since I often have 6 taps that need to be visited. Many times I’ll split a 12oz bottle. Is this normal?

Depends on the beer.and my mood I have a few diferent types of beer glasses the wife and kids have bought for me. I like a pilsner glass for a pilsner and a standard pint glass for most everything else. Other than the standard pint size I have 3 favorite sizes. I like the half imperial pint glasses as tasters like you said. I like imperial pint glasses for some ales or if I just want to make fewer trips to the tap. I also have some cool 12oz weizen glasses a brewpub owner gave me because they were mistakes form his glassware provider. I don’t like wheat beers but I like the shape and size for lagers and IPAs.

I go for the imperial pint glass if I’m working in the garage, or don’t feel like making multiple trips to the taps. Otherwise I stick to a 12-14 oz. pour in a standard pint glass. I also have 10-12oz. belgian and pilsner style glasses if I’m feeling fancy.

I’m a snob, so I rock the spiegelau. IPA glass for pales and IPAS, stout for stouts and porters, tulip for most else. I have a Pilsner glass, but I don’t brew pilsner, so it gets used for commercial. I have shaker pints I rarely use. But all are all pint sized. I have some glencairn whiskey glasses if I want a small sample. The good Scotch goes into the Riedel sommeliers single malt glass.

I’m not justifying my stupid collecting hobby when I say glassware matters. It won’t save bad beer, but gives that 5-10% punch to a great beer.

1 Like

I have s ton of glasses people give me all styles. The only ones I buy are the 4ozs. Looking for a cool flight paddle design

I like my 20 oz glasses. Means more in the glass and less trips to the kegerator. I do like my sampler glasses as well for those who don’t know what they want or for myself to check carbonation. I have way way to many glasses.

@uberculture I found the spiegelau glasses much to fragile.

2 Likes

I very much enjoy the belgian snifter…for the classiness.

I use my 12oz. Sam Adams glass most often. But like most homebrewers, I’ve accumulated a lot of brewery glasses of all sizes. I like the 5oz. size for those ‘big beer’ sippers. And if I’m drinking outside, I have a ceramic german mug with a pewter lid that keeps the bugs out!

1 Like

Apparently things are better “out here”. Stop by the Linnie Lodge, sample some great WI beers, leave with the 5 oz sampler glass.

+1. The glass makes a good commerical / homebrew better!

The Sam Adams’ Spiegelau? https://www.ourpamperedhome.com/spiegelau-4992079-classics-sam-adams-boston-lager-beer-glasses-set-of-4-clear/?CAWELAID=120148800000215774&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=19243595189&CATCI=pla-83371755921&catargetid=120148800000160956&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwk-jGBRCbxoPLld_bp-IBEiQAgJaftY5dNGU5Krv2iPvIrnfMZL9uJf1LZOk6t5H-5VWBgjkaAqeO8P8HAQ

That’s a great glass for lagers.

Own it man.

1 Like

I’m not sure if mine are 4oz or 5. Some I got free from breweries some they sell at cost. Some I’ve bought for about $3. Nice momentos. My keggerator is in the beer cave with my TV so I don’t have to go far. If I’m outside I do have some British pints

Brewery pints or some old family pilsners - or, like my profile picture, a wine glass.

I also received a set of different beer glasses. It has a pint, pilsner, wheat and stout I think. If it’s convenient I will get out the correct glass for style. Otherwise a red Solo cup tastes the same and you don’t have to fill it all the way. Plus they are hard to break and don’t need to be washed.

2 Likes

Cue Toby Keith…

Red Solo cup does just fine :sunglasses::beers:

My two favorite glasses are 22 ounce pilsner and 20 ounce tulip style glasses. I use the pilsner glasses for any beer I want to pour a deep head on or just watch a stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom. The tulip glasses are just nice to hold with the narrow base and will hold a decent size head also. I have some Grolsch glasses but they don’t hold enough volume. The odd assortment of mugs from gift sets have too thick of a rim to comfortably sip from so are rarely used.

Great outside in the summer to protect from light skunking too!

I use a piece of cardboard to keep my glass shaded. Harder to do on a windy day but the beer needs protection when in clear glass.

I can’t believe I left off one of my favorite glasses. A stainless steel pint glass. They’re awesome in summer and outside. Unbreakable, keeps the beer cool and shades it from the sun.

2 Likes