Pimp my mill

I found out I’m getting a cereal killer for Christmas. My wife let’s me pick out my present. Has anyone enlarged the hopper and added power.

I got a cereal killer recently. I use a corded electric drill to run mine. It has th standard 6 or 7 lb hoppper. I’d like to put a bigger hopper on it for sure. I have a couple pieces of luan sheeting left over from another project and thought I might make a hopper with that.

Did you have to modify it for the drill? I have some copper flashing I was thinking of using for the hopper. Where to you get your grains? I can get base malts locally for about 55$ a sack. Is that a good price?

Not a great price… Do you have any local microbreweries? I get base malt for 50 cents/# for rahr 2-row, 70 cents/# for premium continental Pilsner.

I do. Why would they sell me grain? I’m thinking a sack of 2row and a sack of munich to get started everything else just buy as needed . I’ll get some pilsner in the spring. Right now my brew store sells me any grain mix at $1.60/lb I would love to halve that.

They seem really cool with homebrewers… The local ones here are more than happy to sell me a sack of grain. Wouldn’t hurt to ask? Maybe bring some samples?

Same here Pork chop, I buy sacks of grain fer $40.00…. What a savings. I can also buy a bail of hops too, but 11 pounds of one is too much at one time… They won’t sell there yeast there, but another small brew pub will… It pays to ask, the worst they can say is no… Sneezles61

Nope didn’t modify anything. There’s a flat spot on the shaft and the drill tightens down on it just fine. Flashing is a great idea for the hopper.

I get my grains from 2 LHBSs. One is a little cheaper but further away. I typically get 2 row for just under $50 and european grains like Avangard for my lagers between 55-60.

There is a micro brewery near me that will not sell grain. I think that is because they know and like the LHBS owner and will not undercut him. I understand that and want to see him continue to succeed so he stays in business.

Do like the name cereal killer BTW.