Pilsner pale ale

I may have come up with 170F because of this…

Which makes me now want to do two hops stand temperatures in my next brew as test

1 Like

That article seems to be talking about 90 minute hop stands . I throw them in at 180 and stop chilling for 10minutes then commence so they drop through the lower temps for longer. I would say at our scale just use more. I may put a cover on it for the 10 minutes and do it at 170 anyway but probably doesn’t matter much as it would for commercial scale

1 Like

I’ve done below 180 and below 170 in seperate batches. Didn’t do side by side tastings but I can’t say I noticed a difference in flavor, aroma or long term stability.

There was a Beersmith podcast were like the “god father” of hop breeding and such, talked about this very subject… He pointed out that even some harsh rogue hops… Nugget or Liberty come to mind… threw much better aromas/characteristics and like 140*… I thought his main point was the hop oils remained so much better below 190* I’ll have to look back… Food for thought… Sneezles61
Beersmith podcasts…#15, #32, #41, #152… That should keep you busy!

Brewing this again using the hops profile @dannyboy58 suggested

1 Like

Hey @dannyboy58 do you strain the hop material from the wort when putting it in your fermenter?

I bag my hops in paint strainer bags.