Philadelphia, PA area breweries

I’m traveling to Philly and the surrounding area next week for work. Does anyone have any recommendations for good breweries to visit? I might check out Yuengling for the nostalgia but I’m looking for a place with good beer and a good atmosphere. Much appreciated!

Breweries:

-Tired Hands is a can’t miss
-Dock Street (meh)
-Free Will (haven’t had it, but the owner did a great interview on Brewing Network’s Sunday Session and the beers sound world-class. On my list for sure, but about an hour north of Philly, so this will depend on where you are staying)
-People rave about Yards, but I think their beers are pretty pedestrian. Well-made, but I don’t get what all the fuss is about.

Bars (if you are looking to drink great beer, I wouldn’t necessarily seek out breweries. The great thing about Philly is due to something weird with the distribution, you can get a lot of beers that really aren’t available anywhere else on the east coast (like Russian River). Monks will usually have Pliny the Elder, Temptation, Supplication, etc. (I like their sour beers way more than their hoppy beers):

-Monk’s Cafe is a cool place, but it is a bit touristy and can get crowded. I really like his other bar, Belgian Cafe.
-Kraftwork
-The Garage
-Blue Duck (another can’t-miss, but BYOB which can work out great)
-High Street On Market (not the best beer list, but food is silly)
-Also not a beer place, but Tommy Dinics in the Reading Terminal Market has a sandwich that I could be a bathtub of (pulled pork italiano, google it up)
-Bierstube (German beer hall with great brats)
-have heard great things about Strangelove’s but I haven’t been.

That should keep you busy and full…

Philly has a great food scene and if you are staying downtown/center city, most of these places are walkable or an easy Uber.

Frankfort Hall is a great German beer hall with fire pits and ping pong tables. It’s a hipster joint but definitely a good time and good beer. This time of year the outdoor aspect is perfect!

On the Jersey side Forgotton Boardwalk and Glasstown Brewing are a couple of the locals. Glasstown is a good hang out and unique as it’s located in the middle of a small rural airport. The owner was an avid homebrewer before opening the place.

Manayunk has some solid brews.
Iron Hill is a regional brewpub chain; very accessible.

I find the Philly beer scene to be B+ We’re on the map; but there are no Stone’s or Lagunitas’ that would make us a beer destination, but you be won’t be sorry you came.

[quote=“JMcK”]Manayunk has some solid brews.
Iron Hill is a regional brewpub chain; very accessible.

I find the Philly beer scene to be B+ We’re on the map; but there are no Stone’s or Lagunitas’ that would make us a beer destination, but you be won’t be sorry you came.[/quote]

Too little/too late for the OP, but this just hit my inbox

http://www.philly.com/philly/food/20151 ... Phila.html