PH Meters and calibration solutions

So I would no longer recommend the pH 55 based upon my most recent experience with the new one. I see that meter is actually more like 2 years old and rereading this thread confirms I should have sent it back at the beginning.

I’m seriously considering the MW 102 now. I like the idea of the long wired probe. If anyone has experience with that meter I’d appreciate your opinion.

BINGO… Used too much… not accurate and haven’t re-calibrated with one use packs…
thats changing now…
Sneezles61

Ok so the knowledge. What did you do to get your meter going again?

I retrieved mine from the trashcan. Luckily I didn’t hurl it against the wall as was my initial impulse. I believe it was dry the other day so after consideration I shouldn’t have really expected it to work until (or unless…IF) the element gets rehydrated. Looks like I’m out of storage solution so I put it in some cleaning solution I have handy to soak until I get some storage solution.

Your storage solution can be filtered bottle water… NOT distilled or RO or well water…
It asked for a couple hours when you initially get to rehydrate… right? Follow that…
The test to see IF its good, from their web site…
Rinse then wipe betwixt each step in the filtered water…
Dunk it in White vinegar, gently swirl… 2.3 pH… meter is to respond rapidly…
Rinse step…
Dunk in a windex with Ammonia, gently swirl… 10.5 pH… meter is to respond rapidly.
If not, then the cleaning solution for a couple hours… I think it said vinegar for a couple hours should clean the salts too…If the meter is very slow in responding then the probe is kaputz…
Sneezles61

which milwaukee one do you have?

Yea I was thinking of putting it in some vinegar then I found the cleaning solution…may move it to vinegar in a bit.

I have the pH55… its actually pretty fancy for us home brewers… 2 to 14! Way more than we’ll use…
I see some economical Milwaukee’s for 22.00 on their web site… Just a single calibration solution type gizmo…That will read everything us peeps use, IF you need one… That’ll be the route I’ll take when mine Poops the bed…
Sneezles61

Yea same one I have. If I need a new one I’ll probably spend a little more and get the ph102. I like the design with the probe on the end of a wire. I’ll try to calibrate mine after the probe has soaked a. while.

1 Like

I don’t recall when I got mine… 5+ years ago?
I didn’t know how to take care of it… It is lab grade instrument… I’ve become quite aware of water and how it relates to brewing as of lately… It now becomes a valuable tool for dialing in my brewing… I now will be kind to this toy… I like good brews!!
Sneezles61

This one is only two years old. I tend to take good care of them for a while then if I don’t brew for a while they dry out. This one was quirky from the start though. So I had it in cleaning solution all afternoon and it continued to read 7.1. I just moved it to the distilled vinegar and it went to 7.2. haha…I’ll leave it there for a couple hours then try to calibrate it again.

That doesn’t sound like a bright future… LOL! Milwaukee instruments has a replacement probe.
Try it yet today?
Sneezles61

Not on this one. I did on my old one when it was 3-4 years old. It only lasted another year but I probably let it get dry too. I think I’m going to get the MW102. Since it costs a little more, but has a couple features I want, maybe I’ll be more inclined to take care of it. I’m thinking I’ll keep it in my office instead of in the brewery. In a. visible spot where I’ll notice if the storage solution is getting low.

I’ve always put the 7.01 solution in the tip protector… And set it in a snit glass… Didn’t go dry… I think…
Sneezles61

yea i do that or put it in a small glass with the storage solution but it dries out if you let it sit for more than a couple weeks.

Danny, I see Milwaukee instruments are in NC…
Sneezles61

OK. Broke down and ordered a new meter. I got the Milwaukee MW101.

Who has one? How do you calibrate it? Do you only use the 4 and 7 ph solutions? My water is over 7 but does that mean I need to use a 10 solution to calibrate? Seems overly complicated…haha

Just use the 4 & 7… That is KNOWN parameters and the meter will set its self…
I found out the hard way, order the single use sachets… Big ol box for 20 bucks…
Go to their web site… all the info you need is on there…
Sneezles61

which one did you end up getting?

My original one… pH55… Seems its over kill…
Sneezles61

my first one was a fine meter. I mistreated both. the second one didn’t tolerate my abuse as well.

I like the 101. The cover has a rubber seal around the top so the probe is sealed in. Seems like it will minimize evaporation of storage fluid a little. I wanted the long probe and temperature compensation. We’ll see if it’s worth it. Hope to brew Sunday or Monday. Getting fresh 1056 tomorrow.

I have to say the fancy pH meter i got for brewing is just alright. I prefer this inexpensive ph and TDS meter. $20!!!

It is actually super helpful to have a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) if you are remineralizing RO and Distilled water.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-0-05ph-Accuracy-Readout-Temperature/dp/B06XKMH86J/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ph+tds+meter&qid=1616242520&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWFBHWTFSWVFLN1UwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDU5MzczMUtXWVFOVlA0UDVaRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODg3OTk2TEQ3S09VNTROMU5BJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==