PBW vs Oxyclean

Where does one procure TSP? What brand name is this sold under? What store? can’t say I’ve seen it although I wasn’t looking either.

I found at ACE hardware next to the paint section.

Out of all of the home brew cleaning supplies that I have tried, PBW has been the most effective for me.

Red devil brand TSP/90 is the one I use. Its actually not TSP its Sodium metasilicate, a TSP replacement. PBW is 30% Sodium metasilicate and the rest mostly oxyclean

I found TSP at Ace. The brand is Savogran.

I feel like after a few cleanings with Oxy there is a light haze on my glass carboys so I’ve gone back to PBW. It’s really pretty cheap so I’ll stick with it.

Danny,

In the event your have a haze, or a dusty looking film in the carboy, use white vinegar for a couple of seconds swirling around, and it will brighten up the carboy like new.

Another advantage to Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash is chemistry that prevents this haze from happening. Since Oxy Clean is primarily a laundry soap, not much emphasis needs to be placed on preventing this issue. Craft Meister has been designed from the bottom up as a cleaner specifically for brewing and wine making; the product is formulated to rinse easily, dissolve rapidly and prevent chalky build up on your equipment.

http://beta.northernbrewer.com/shop/bre ... sh-product

Another advantage to Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash is chemistry that prevents this haze from happening. Since Oxy Clean is primarily a laundry soap, not much emphasis needs to be placed on preventing this issue. Craft Meister has been designed from the bottom up as a cleaner specifically for brewing and wine making; the product is formulated to rinse easily, dissolve rapidly and prevent chalky build up on your equipment.

http://beta.northernbrewer.com/shop/bre ... sh-product[/quote]

Every time I use the Craftmeister Oxy wash I like it better. I used Oxiclean the other day because it was handy and I kept thinking it was a PITA to dissolve and rinse.

[quote=“Vulkin’”]When you by your box of oxi also buy a box of TSP (or the replacement…your choice). Add that to the Oxi at about 4 or 5 parts oxi to 1 part TSP. It replaces that missing 10% effectivness Denny mentions loss of.

Barry[/quote]

I concur. This is what I do, except the recipe I found online was 3 lb Oxiclean Versatile Free to 1 lb TSP or TSP substitute. My cost per pound is $3.00, versus $9.99 for one pound of PBW from NB, not including shipping (which isn’t an issue for me since I live near both of their Minnesota retail locations.)

[quote=“Ken in MN”][quote=“Vulkin’”]When you by your box of oxi also buy a box of TSP (or the replacement…your choice). Add that to the Oxi at about 4 or 5 parts oxi to 1 part TSP. It replaces that missing 10% effectivness Denny mentions loss of.

Barry[/quote]

I concur. This is what I do, except the recipe I found online was 3 lb Oxiclean Versatile Free to 1 lb TSP or TSP substitute. My cost per pound is $3.00, versus $9.99 for one pound of PBW from NB, not including shipping (which isn’t an issue for me since I live near both of their Minnesota retail locations.)[/quote]

That does work well, but I gotta tell ya, it still isn’t as good or easy to use as the Craftmeister stuff.

I never heard of Craft Meister. I’ll have to try it out. Denny, which aspects of it do you like best? Admittedly, I think Oxyclean is pretty darn good, just takes more rinsing than i like.

[quote=“Ken in MN”][quote=“Vulkin’”]When you by your box of oxi also buy a box of TSP (or the replacement…your choice). Add that to the Oxi at about 4 or 5 parts oxi to 1 part TSP. It replaces that missing 10% effectivness Denny mentions loss of.

Barry[/quote]

I concur. This is what I do, except the recipe I found online was 3 lb Oxiclean Versatile Free to 1 lb TSP or TSP substitute. My cost per pound is $3.00, versus $9.99 for one pound of PBW from NB, not including shipping (which isn’t an issue for me since I live near both of their Minnesota retail locations.)[/quote]
So I can mix 3 to 1 Oxy and TSP to more or less have PBW?.. :cheers:

I’d say ease of use and effectiveness of cleaning are pretty much equal.

I’ve actually looked into this just a few days ago. On Home Brew Talk’s forum, there was a chemistry discussion, and someone came up with this recipe for homemade PBW:

96oz tub of Sun Oxygen Cleaner (generic Oxyclean Versatile)

4lb box of Red Devil TSP substitute. Make sure it’s this brand because hardware store brands of TSP substitute is not sodium metasilicate which is what you want. We know from PBW’s MSDS that it’s 30% sodium metasilicate. The rest is a bit of a guess. Wears gloves with this stuff! It’s highly alkaline!

45oz box of Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent (adds chelators and surfactants especially if you have hard water). Hard water makes Oxyclean leave a cloudy film as I understand it. This ingredient helps that. I found this at the grocery store in my area. Make sure it’s the dishwasher detergent and not the laundry detergent.

I had to order the Red Devil on ebay, but when you look on Amazon for Red Devil, one of the frequently bought together items is Oxyclean. So I suspect a lot of homebrewers are mixing at least these 2 ingredients. But the TSP is the most expensive at $15.00. The dishwasher detergent is $5.00. I figure this recipe is 1/3 the cost of PBW. On the other forum above mentioned, it has been used on several cleanups with good success. I’m planning on using it on my next batch.

If you have a LHBS in your area the Brewer specific cleaners might make some sense…I live a long dang way from ANY LHBS, thus the conveinience of being able to get my cleaner form the harware store (even if it requires some bucket chemisty), is a HUGE selling point. Add to that the fact that if you add the TSP you end up with a product that we here will argue endlessly over just how clost to PBW it is…well it must be pretty dang close as we debate it ad naseum. I had not thought of adding a spot remover but then again hard water spots are not that much of a problem for me.

Barry

Here’s a follow-up to the homemade PBW with the 3 ingredients. I tried it on a used 6 gallon glass carboy I bought from somebody that I wanted to clean thoroughly before using. The mixture foamed a little bit, but overall, it seemed to clean well without leaving a cloudy residue. The 7th generation dishwasher detergent must have wetting agents in it as I could see the water running down the sides much like it does on dishes in the dishwasher to prevent spot formation. What I did learn is that you have to use HOT water. I used warm water, and the sodium metasilicate sank right to the bottom and was difficult to dissolve. Seems to rinse out just like PBW. Overall, I’m happy with it. I will report back when I have a nasty carboy full of hops resins stuck to the side!

can oxy and tsp be premixed and stored ready to go?..Tank :cheers:

Yes. One pound of TSP will easily fit into a 3 pound tube of Oxyclean

Yes, had no problems mixing all 3 ingredients. I put the mixture in a bucket with a tight lid.