pbw question

How mutch pbw to use in 5 gal carboy? The directions say to use 3/4 oz. but i dont have a scale so i was wondering if i could use a tablespoon or would that not be enough. :?:

I use something like 1/4cup, depends on whether you let is sti for several hours or are going to brush it too though.

Tablespoon per five gallons will take care of light crud, two will eat through just about anything you might find in a fermenter. This assumes that you’re going to let it sit a while.

I use just a few dashes and add a little over a gallon. Then I lay the carboy on its side and simply rotate it. It works well if you have the time to tend to it.

I use enough water to cover the crud when tipped upside down, ~2 gallons. Using a carboy cap to hold the liquid in. And placing it in a 16qt cooler to hold the water if the cap fails. So far I have not had a failure.

:expressionless:

I use about 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons. When the carboy is free from it’s fermenting job, I fill it with 4 gallons of water with the PBW mixed in. I place a stopper in the carboy, then place a Baggie over top of the stopper and secure it with a strong rubber band around the neck of the carboy. I had a stopper pop out while doing this in the past. I flip it upside down and place it in the carboy dryer for 24 hours to let the top half soak. After that I take it and set it up right and let it sit for another 24 hours and soak the bottom half. I then dump the PBW in a 7 gallon bucket for future use and rinse out the carboy. Good to go.

Cheapskate! I own stock in Five Star, gotta promote them.

Their literature says 3/4oz per gallon. Thats weight. For five gallons thats almost 4oz, gotta be 1/4cup or so. Thats what sugar weighs and its no more dense.

+1 1 1/2 tablespoons fill the carboy to the brim with hot water. Seldom have to use the brush and if I time it right I use it on a keg before it goes in the fermenter. Sorry I’m not helping the stock appreciate Tom!

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Cheapskate! I own stock in Five Star, gotta promote them.[/quote]And I buy it in bulk for $2.50 a lb, too, so it’s not even on my radar as a brewing expense. :wink:

I’ll never be able to retire.

I use a tsp per gallon (which is much less than the recommended dosage) and it works just fine in fermenters. I use it at a much higher concentration to get baked-on crud off of pots and pans.

Anything I can reach with a plastic scrubby, gets no PBW. Its reserved for carboys and such.

so how long can you save pbw for?