Pasteurizing apple juice

If I buy juice I don’t do anything just pitch the yeast. If I pick the apples off the trees I use Camden. This year I have a lot of drops mixed in and I’m nervous about you know other stuff on the ground. I’m thinking to heat it and was wondering what you all do

I’d do 140 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

1 Like

Good question… Couldn’t you up the Camden to 2 per gallon? The hydrogen will snuff out just about any wild stuff…
Then I worry about a haze setting in from heat pasteurizing…
Sneezles61

I was wondering about haze so I won’t boil. Will 140° be hat enough?

Would that kill bunny fecal matter? I’d think so… :upside_down_face:
Sneezles61

I just checked a thread where I was making peach Saison and heated the peaches to 160 for 15-20 minutes.

Did a haze set in. I’m looking for clarity

“When you’re making jam with traditional amounts of sugar, you’re aiming to cook it to 220°F. That’s the temperature at which sugar forms a gel and can bond with the pectin (whether it naturally occurring in the fruit or you’ve added it).”

So the 160° number sounds good?

At 160F you will pasteurize in 30 seconds assuming all parts reach that temperature

2 Likes

I don’t recall it being hazy. I’ll check my notes though.

Well, daggnabit I’m pretty hazy now! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. There is also pectin haze stuff… I’ve got a small amount… Come and get it… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Sneezles61

I always pasteurize mine at 165 degrees for 20 minutes and never had haze problems. I add 1 tsp of yeast nutrient per gallon of juice while heating. Let that cool overnight covered, add 1/2 tsp per gallon of juice of pectin enzyme and pitch yeast. Always got clear cider. Heat your juice slowly and stir often until you hit 165, and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Well i fanally got my apples all preessed. I heated the juice to 165f then cut the heat. At that point I added 1lb of brown sugar and 1lb of raisons. Started to cool it down in a water bath after about 15min. Also added 36oz of frozen apple juice concentrate. The OG was .070 I’m figuring another .006 for the raisons. So I’m calling it .071. Going to pitch some English Ale slurry.

1 Like

Well, the English seem to have hard cidre’s in their wheel house… Along with many more fermented beverages we do brew… and consume!
No cloudy issues yet?
Why can’t you test the waters… That’s why I brew…
Sneezles61

I always use English Ale yeast it doesn’t ferment as dry and gives some character I feel. This will be strong so like the New England cider that I’ve experienced. New England Cider is strong and served still. What I plan on is bottle a gallon of the strong stuff in wine bottles then add back a gallon of water when I keg. So 5/ 750ml bottles @10% And then 5gallons of carbonated cider @ 8%. Or there about

Actually the guys I know that make the real stuff don’t add yeast. All natural and man does it knock you out

I’ve not done a spontaneous fermentation… I’ve done some ale yeast that went below 1.00…
The last few have been the fermentis K-1116… Finishes very close to zero… Perhaps a point above…
Sneezles61

I think 150 to 160 is alright and you shouldn’t have any haze issues.