Overflowing Fermentor!

First time brewing without using a “boxed recipe” and went for a Black IPA. 5 days into fermentation I came upon this. Is this normal? Anything I did wrong, or tips on getting this brew to bottling day?
Thanks,
Brian

This is what we call blow off. The fermentation was so vigorous that the krausen raised to the top of your bucket and out the airlock. Pull it out, rinse, sanitize it and the airlock hole and reinsert. In the future, look into a blow off tube for vigorous fermentations.

1 Like

You might want to keep a closer eye on it if you can for the next batch, i.e check it ever 12 or 24 hours during the first 3 days of primary fermentation as this is the most active part. This has happened to me once and the beer turned out great so no need to over worry. Just keep sanitation in mind when reinserting the airlock

1 Like

Next time use a blow over hose. Dont worry. Did happen to us all. I do for the first 5 days. Blowover. Hose. Than switch to a airlock. Most important. Keep it clean. You might want to look a a speidel fermentor. 30 liter. Huge airlock. Find out did not need a blowover hose. For my connical still use a blowover hose

2 Likes

The beer itself will be fine but I would buy a new airlock. Those S shaped ones are really hard to clean when they get blow off in them. They are cheap.

1 Like

As mentioned in a previous post, this happens when there’s not enough headspace in the fermenter (too full) or when fermentation is allowed to happen uncontrollably. In the latter case, is more likely with with higher gravity beers. Do you use any sort of temperature control? For an inexpensive alternative look up “swamp cooler”. If this were me, I’d clean up the goo on top with Star San soaked paper towels and replace the airlock with a freshly sanitized one. Happy brewing!

2 Likes

Temperature was more than likely the culprit here so look into the swamp cooler as mentioned. Amazon has 3 piece airlocks for cheap and are much easier to use and clean when these blowoffs happen. I’ve had a lid or 2 blow off the bucket before I learned the process and controlled temp better so don’t worry, beer will be fine! Just curious, what’s your recipe? I’m an IPA guy

2 Likes

The S shaped airlocks make a much better Blub sound than the 3 piece which just makes a Clack. :grin:

3 Likes

LOL Yeah, but they lose their Star San sooo fast!

1 Like

Blow off tube… start to finish… The big shooters don’t mess with them little gizmos… Sneezles61

3 Likes

Me do like the 3 piece airlocks. If some wort comes in easy to clean.

Cheap vodka i use

Far out, thank you!

Will do, thank you! I did not use any temp control and I’ll check out the swamp cooler!

I followed this recipe as close as I could. I had to sub some ingredients, and accidentally added 1 oz. of the Simcoe during the single infusion mash. I also got the darker grain (Carafa III) and kept added it to the mash with the other grains for the whole 60 min.

Looks fairly solid @potrobri. A tad more caramel than I would use but the hop combo works very well together. Should be a great beer for the season!