Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils

They have this on tap down the street from my house at a burger joint. I’ve had it a few times and I enjoy it. Has a lot more hop character than a traditional pilsner. Not as crisp and clean but the malt character still comes through as slightly bready/grainy with a slight grassy sweetness.

Overall a very easy drinker. Goes great with a big burger and some fries.

LYP is their take on a bohemian pils, so it should have high hop character both in the aroma and flavor. Are you comparing it to Budvar/Czechvar or Urquell, or a light american lager?

I do agree with you though, great stuff, one of the best pilsners we can get in the states with wide availability. I think that and Dale’s are the best beers by Oskar. I’m not much on Ten Fidy, Gubna, or Deviant Dales, though I’m sure others will disagree.

[quote=“Pietro”]LYP is their take on a bohemian pils, so it should have high hop character both in the aroma and flavor. Are you comparing it to Budvar/Czechvar or Urquell, or a light american lager?

I do agree with you though, great stuff, one of the best pilsners we can get in the states with wide availability. I think that and Dale’s are the best beers by Oskar. I’m not much on Ten Fidy, Gubna, or Deviant Dales, though I’m sure others will disagree.[/quote]

Maybe I haven’t had too many Bo Pils before. I was comparing it more to the likes of Urquell and Warsteiner.

I had Dale’s in a can once and I wasn’t too impressed. It was just after a GLBC Burning River so maybe I set the bar too high.

Right, Urquell is a bohemian pils and Warsteiner, Radeberger, Spaten, Victory are all german pilses. iz.

Bo Pils should have a big 'ol Saaz hop character. slightly grassy, floral, somewhat spicy, but balanced with bready malt.

Germans typically use Hallertauer, Tett, or Spalt and lower sulfate water, so its even drier than a bo pils and the hops stay with you after the sip. Both are so. damn. good. Good reason I guess that it became the most popular style in the world once people tasted what these guys were making.

Give Dales a shot in a good tulip or IPA glass. Its called a ‘pale ale’, but at 6.5%, its basically an IPA to me. Great hop character, but in my opinion, the way they get the malt character to support the hops is what sets that beer apart. :cheers: