Omega West Coast I, to make a starter or not?

First time trying Omega yeast. Came in a smack pack, brewday is tomorrow. Anyone used this yet? Is it worth making a starter or should I just smack it tomorrow and let it ride? Hops Lamb is the planned brew.

:beers:
Rad

I haven’t used that specific one, but I think you’ll want a starter for that beer. I still make starters for omega yeast.

I make a starter for all liquid yeast. Even gigayeast which claims 200B cells.

That’s kind of what I figured. Guess I won’t be lazy after all. :joy: Thanks!

Rad

1 Like

You don’t have to smack omega yeast packs.

I have only used the Hothead from Omega. Made a starter just in case. I used one of those Fast Pitch cans of wort from NB for that. A little costly compared to boiling up some DME but sure made it easier.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Just set it out on counter and shake it up before tossing it into the flask. Starter worked well, brewday yesterday, pitched around 8:00 and actively fermenting this morning.

Rad

Hey just reading the thread… did you end up doing a starter for overnight? Sounded like you were brewing the following day. How did it come out and how is fermentation going with or without the starter?

What was your OG on that kit?
THANKS!

Yes, I made up a 2L starter around 4:00 Saturday afternoon and put it on my stir plate for 22 hours. OG was 1.090 and it’s currently at high krausen and has been since I got home from work yesterday around 4:30. I pitched yeast at 8:00 Sunday night. It’s been pretty chilly here so Monday morning the fermometer was reading 62 so I popped it on top of a heating pad and wrapped some spare carpet around it. I use one of those that shuts off every two hours. Provided I remember to go back down and turn it on every so often, it works out pretty well. This morning it read 66 and was merrily bubbling away.

Rad