Omega Tropical IPA yeast- OYL-200

I am planning a batch of Kama citra IPA this weekend and will be trying the omega tropical IPA yeast. I just noticed that it likes fermentation temps between 75 - 85 deg f. I have never fermented that warm ( on purpose anyway).

I guess that is the range I need to be in but thought I would check to see if anyone else has tried this yeast yet.

i also had planned to make a starter so I will need to also pay attention to that temp, I guess I will need to put the stir plate in the chamber to keep it warm.

Thanks

Tom

Yes, if you can definitely ferment it that warm. If you can’t, it’ll still turn out great. But if you can, ramp up those temps!

This is the same yeast as the infamous white labs 644, that was considered a brett strain until proven otherwise through genetic testing. Brett (sacch) brux trois. It’s a fantastic yeast, a high attenuator, and makes some crazy tropical esters. You’ll love it. Sanitize well after using it. Don’t worry about cross-contamination, but don’t cut corners in your sanitation.

1 Like

Thanks! I can set whatever temp I want so I will bring it into the sweet spot.

And I will clean and sanitize like crazy as always.

1 Like

I just bought some of this yeast…how did your batch turn out?

It came out good. I may have added more hops than usual but everyone seemed happy with it.

I should be pitching this yeast this weekend…should I make a starter or just pitch the pack?

I made a starter but not sure if I really needed to as the kama citra is not a very high og.

I’m not sure the cell count with omega yeast, but white labs packages it with similar cell counts to their brett cultures, which is ridiculously low. Intended for secondary pitch. It wouldn’t surprise me if omega packages with much higher cell count, but regardless, I think a starter would be a good idea. Everyone was selling this as brett a few years ago when it got hot, so chances are it was packaged for secondary. Random trivia fact - Lance Shaner of omega labs was the cat that properly identified this strain as sacch.

1 Like

Is there any need to start fermentation lower in the 60’s and then let
come up to the 75-85 range after 72 hours? My first beers were fermented
too warm and produced off flavors - definitely don’t want to revisit
those flavors. I just know that Saison yeasts like the warm temps too,
yet some people start them off low.

A good idea is to start low in temps… The yeast will create its own heat through the active fermenting cycle… I like to keep my fermentation in the low to mid 60’s for ales, then after 4-6 days warm up to 70…
Yeast do want to give a flavor to your brews, and depending on which you choose, temp and under pitching will help that flavor become more accentuated… Sneezles61

1 Like

I used this yeast on a batch and just started it at the higher temp (lower end of the range suggested on the packet). Beer came out fine.

So did you pitch around 75 and did you let it rise to the 80’s?

I pitched at 75 deg and let it rise a bit but just held it at the midpoint of the reccomended temp range.