Omega London yeast vs. White Labs 007

Anyone use the Omega London Yeast yet? I’m kind of partial to 007, but if anyone recommends the Omega, I’d be willing to give it a try.

Omega description:
This attenuative strain will create a complex mineral character with
moderate fruity esters. Beers will finish dry with a wonderful balance
of full malty flavors while not inhibiting hop bitterness. A great
choice for fermenting traditional British styles, especially pale ales
and stouts. This strain tends to remain in suspension; additional aging,
fining or filtration will be needed to produce bright beers.
Min Fermenting Temp66Max Fermenting Temp72FlocculationMediumMin Attenuation %67Max Attenuation %77

White Labs:
Clean, highly flocculant, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is
similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This
eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for
high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80%
attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers. Apparent
attenuation: 70-80%. Flocculation: high. Optimum temp: 65°-70° F

I’ve got time to let the Omega clear, and I’m into the minerally flavor descriptor. Anyone try it before?

I decided to be adventurous. I picked up the Omega and threw it in a starter for Monday’s IPA. I’ll be using whirfloc to help things drop, give it a while, and cold crash in the keg. I’ll report on findings in this thread.

Hey really quick, I just pitched some 007 into a starter yesterday which in on a stirplate. I woke up today and it’s full of chunky creamy gunk swirling around inside. I talked to a friend this morning who used WLP005 and the same thing happened. Is this a yeast style thing or what?

Yeah, flocculant English yeasts can give you lots of chunky goopy lumps. You should see what my Ringwood yeast is like… huge cloudy dumplings floccing out.

Some yeasts just do that. Don’t worry. It’s affectionately called egg drop soup.

Haha I wasn’t literally going to describe it as that. Thanks!!

In a fun turn of events, I seem to have lost my refractometer. So no idea my OG. Predicted 1.072, but I tightened my crush a bit. Then again, I overstated, so my volume was a bit high. Anyway, pitched at 11 this morning with a 1 liter active starter.

Follow up on this… the beer is a little sweet, and the mineral taste is overwhelming. I don’t know that I’ll be using this Omega strain again.