Old Commercial Yeast

Went to the LHBS a couple of months ago and wanted some WLP001. They had some but it’s “use by” date was May 2019 so the guy sold me 3 for 1. I successfully used one so far and have a raucous 2L starter going with a second that I’m going to split to save half and pitch the other half in an ale. The third one is sitting in the brew cave fridge. I think I got a pretty good deal!

2 Likes

I’ve pushed the limits on old Wyeast smack packs but not quite as far as a year past. If they swell after smacking to any degree that’s a good sign and I almost always, except hefes, do a SNSYS/ vitality starter in this case. Apparently your White Labs liquid yeast are good a while past expiration.

On a very diffferent note, I’ve been to Asheville on “beercation”(back in the pre covid 19 days …sigh) twice and I am embarrassed to admit I haven’t ventured into the White Labs outpost there… worth a trip??

Took me a minute to figure that out :grinning: I had the guy that owned my LHBS give me a smack pack of whatever it was I was looking for a while ago. Did just that,made a starter to check it out and no problem.

3 Likes

ONLY method I use now. Unless of course I’m building off dregs or very old yeast. I will spin those until I get a decent amount. But then it goes back to SNSYS.

3 Likes