Oktoberfest thread

It’s that time(Pretty late, actually) for brewing, and drinking commercial releases of, Oktoberfest! I’m reviewing/ retooling my prior 5 or so attempts this week and hope to get an order off to our host soon…

Also, its like Bingo, who will get(and hopefully photograph) the first Fall release(Oktoberfest/Pumpkin ale) at your grocery/beer store? Not here in East Central Fla yet…

1 Like

I believe us crafty home brewers will easily make it… I don’t see my self brewing an O-fest until mid next week…
What ABV should we aim fer… 5-5.5%? Orange and clear? Oh… geez, I’ll sub Ale yeast in for this one… And I think I’ll make it a 10 gallon batch…
But hops… Should stick to some noble varieties… ?
Voodoo, you gonna post yer newest combination?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Not having an ofest party again this year. Some of my friends don’t want to get vaccinated. Its just not worth it. I will brew my pumpkin harvest ale though. Everyone liked it and i had aged a few and they got even better i thought

1 Like

I’ll be brewing mine soon for my home party. I used to be traditional and brew in March but I’ve found no real difference from long lagering to short lagering (as long as it’s clear). I’m also hosting it later to see what happens with all the Covid stuff.

1 Like

Absolutely. Crazy afternoon at work so…I’m still cipherin’ at it. 5-6% abv range. Definitely some noble hops for flavor/aroma. I use to bitter with them for German brews but likely a waste of the floral, spicy qualities. I use Magnum almost exclusively now for bittering.

1 Like

I tried Ger. Magnum but thought it a bit too much… maybe I used too much? I still like the Northern brewer hop…
Maybe get some rain tomorrow… then I’ll go through my grains and hops… develop a grainbill…
I keep thinking we should have a small gathering…
Sneezles61

They’re here!

1 Like

Magnum is a bit stronger than Northern Brewer hops. @13% aa vs 8% aa so with the software I am only adding 1/3 ounce with most lagers.

Rainy afternoon here so I am working on the Oktoberfest recipe again……
A discussion about the different origins of Maerzen vs Festbier Oktoberfest….only the lighter Festbier is sold on the wiesn during the festival: Oktoberfest Beer vs Märzen vs Festbier vs Oktoberfest Style

1 Like

Tomorrow we head up to Duluth… (the can of worms[bridges and hi ways system]is all being demolished and reconstructed) I hope some of the local breweries has some on tap… Especially Hoops Brewing!
I really need to settle into retirement… It would be great to brew a Marzen in… March… get it kegged and on gas. Leave it alone til Fall… DAMN…
So if the Germans saw British making pale malts and copied… Would it be a problem to use MO?
Sneezles61

1 Like

It’s so funny you asked that, because that’s exactly what I’m doing. I read a BYO Article that used Maris Otter to get a drier finish on their Oktoberfest for drinkability., I’m gonna try that this year.
They also use British crystal but I’m going to use Caravienne and melanoidin in small amounts. Last year’s Oktoberfest festbier was very traditional with all German components, this one has ingredients from all over the European union……er…pre-Brexit EU.

1 Like

Perhaps, I’ll do mine US-deviant… O-fest… Yeah, I’d like mine a bit dry… I’ve got some idea’s I’ll tinker with a bit before I finalize a grainbill… Definitely not a hoppy sort…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

An Octoberfest without Munich?:grimacing:

1 Like

I’m using 5 lbs. of Munich malt. (6*L)
(Says 4.81 lb in recipe but I have some old Munich to use up)

Looks good i was just teasing. Iv been waiting to do some lagers but my freezer crapped out on me. Im getting one from a friend but still waiting i think I’ll be able to get 2 small or 1 large Fermzilla. Then i can lager to my hearts content

1 Like

I’ll use Ale yeast for now… clean variety… And cool ferment…
Heck… Ifn this O-fest recipe is good… I’ll conduct a boiled water, chilled then the next day a concotion brew day… I just have to X-beerment this fall… I think this is why it was unlawful to brew in the summer in the the “Old World Days”… OR perhaps I’m a Doo-Wack-A-Doodle… :joy:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Ive brewed my Marzen/Octoberfest with ale yeast. Comes out well, i call it an Alt. Not sure if that’s exactly right but probably fits the style

2 Likes

Well… I’m not going to try fit in the “beer box style” per sey… Kinda like lawn jarts… close enough and call it a brew!!
Sneezles61

Anyone get started? I won’t… suppose to near 90*F for a few more days… Even the rain days are eluding me…
Sneezles61

Out of town company here. Looking at the weekend to brew.

Actually. My wife did bring oktober fest up last night. She admitted. She had fun at munich oktober fest seems like years back now. My son in law. Still. Gets nightmares. From being sick he said. Guess thats what you get. Drinking with the old. Dogs. The old ones. Behave at the speed of drinking. And stay away from the greasy food

1 Like