OG 1.012 -worth fermenting?

That is some great pub quiz knowledge there! :slight_smile:

Yes, informative info! Being as I’m a “Carpenter” by trade for the last 38 years… T-foil, don’t give up… You’ll learn and this place is chock full of helpful peeps… Ask, and you’ll get help… Whats going to be your next brew? Sneezles61

:slight_smile: I am already learning that :slight_smile: my next brew is going to be an IPA by crafty fox I think, they do a 1 gallon kit which seems pretty good. I also have my very first batch almost ready for sampling which was an EPA.

Mind you after this attempt my first batch will probably be 1% as well :smiley: haha good job im practicing with 1 gallon batches.

I wont be giving up any time soon, if I can make twice as much beer for half the price throwing away a few failed attempts will be worth it.

1 Like

I was going to recommend the one gallon kits from Midwest Supplies, but it just occurred to me that you are not in the US…

Correct?

Correct I am from the UK, there are a few home brew shops within about 20 miles but I have seen a refil kit on Amazon

Okay so sit rep! I decided to try and save it instead of dumping it.

I added 400g of brewers sugar (didnt have any money for LME) to bring the OG to 1.048.
I have just bottled it and my FG is 0.994 so ive made about a 7% IPA I have had a taste and there is quite a harsh alcohol flavour to the ale but im going to let it sit for 2 weeks and see how it does!

HOLY MOLY! What yeast did you employ? Ale yeast really shouldn’t finish that low! Have you got your next brew in mind yet? Sneezles61

Oh yeah! Sorry I also used a friends wine yeast! Ive just washed it off for later this week! My next batch is actually going to be a mead probably with some fruit thatll be ready for christmas.

After that ive got another IPA to make, ive got maris otter, carramalt, some 5.9% AA hops and some safeale 03 to try and brew. Im going to use the same method from the refil pack I bought Ill just mash it properly this time :slight_smile:

It was all simple sugar :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah the yeast just loved it :slight_smile:

Oh yes… Sneezles61

ok you made undistilled vodka. Get some real Ale yeast. There are some GREAT ones in the UK.
Using a wine yeast to make an ale would be like putting a beret on the Queen’s guard or wearing lederhosen to armed forces day.

Ah I didnt realise it was that easy to make vodka! I may have to invest in a distiller at some point :slight_smile:
On the yeast side if things though you are right! I have done a bit more research into yeast and its importance in flavours and I didnt realise just how big a factor it actually played in the overall finished ale. I have found a uk based yeast company that do all kinds of yeasts which I think ill give a try.

1 Like