Oatmeal Coffee Stout using Quaker Oats

I was thinking of developing an oatmeal coffee stout using some quaker oats and folgers coffee, but need some guidance/insight. Has anyone used quaker oats to make a stout? What hops would go well with it.

This will be for a one gallon batch.

I was thinking of roasting the oats in the oven for a bit prior to steeping them for the wort. From there I will pretty much be winging it.

Why ‘wing it’ when you can ‘bing it’? Toss out the cold Folgers coffee in the bottom of the pot, brew a fresh batch of coffee, then pour this phrase into your favorite search engine: quaker oats oatmeal stout

Mastering Homebrew (Mosher) and Brewing Better Beer (Strong) are two great books for learning more about recipe design and brewing ‘test’ batches.

Any time that I’ve used oats in a brew, it’s been Quaker, so yes they can be used in a mash just fine. of course, they need to be mashed along with something that provides diastatic power or you get a cloudy mess. I have toasted them a couple times- 250* for about 10 minutes, based on something that I read somewhere…

1 Like

no need to grind them either. just toss em in tun

Please be aware that you are talking to a very green newbie here. What is diastatic power, and what would have it?

Ok. Diastatic power refers to the ability of a malt to convert starch to sugar. Flaked oats (quaker) by themselves are not malted, and have no ability to convert. So, if you are using flaked oats, then you need to add in some barley malt or wheat malt, or rye malt which will supply the enzymes needed. 1 lb. of malt per lb of oats should be more than enough. (Same principle if you use corn or rice).
By the way, if you haven’t read John Palmer’s ‘How to Brew’, I would strongly advise it. There’s an older on-line version that while a bit outdated, is still good to learn the basics. But I would counsel to pick up a hardcopy, read it, study it. It will become your brewing bible, and a reference to go back to, time after time.

1 Like

Use Quaker “quick” oats rather than old fashion. I have even used store brand quick oats.

Just curious - Why Quick instead of other kinds of oatmeal?

They’re pre-gelatinized and don’t require a cereal mash. For best efficiency, the old fashioned oats should be cooked first, whereas the quick or instant oats are ready to go.

Tbh, I think the old fashioned oats are ok to use too, but if you use any raw grains, such as steel-cut oats or spelt, you need to do a cereal mash.

What porkchop said :grinning: