No carbonation ..

I just signed-up - hi all.

I’m just getting started. The 4th batch I brewed does not seem to have any carbonation. I did the primary carbonation for 8 days, carboy for 3 weeks and it has been bottled for 3 weeks. (Yes I added the priming sugar at bottling.) What’s most likely the cause.

1- Could it eventually get carbonated?
2 - Should I abandon ship?
3 - How about pouring together and re-sugar?

Advice appreciated.

[quote=“theflynner”]I just signed-up - hi all.

I’m just getting started. The 4th batch I brewed does not seem to have any carbonation. I did the primary carbonation for 8 days, carboy for 3 weeks and it has been bottled for 3 weeks. (Yes I added the priming sugar at bottling.) What’s most likely the cause.

1- Could it eventually get carbonated? yes
2 - Should I abandon ship? no
3 - How about pouring together and re-sugar? If you truly want to ruin it.

Advice appreciated.[/quote]

What beer, OG/FG.

What temp has it been at while in the bottle.

Fair questions. It was a kit from Midwest Supply called Summit Select. It started at OG 1.044 and settled at 1.01. I keep in my dark basement of 64-68 degrees.

Shake all the bottles a few times and move them to a warmer spot in the house for a week or two. If that does not work, open up all the bottles and put in a little champagne yeast and recap. Just a few specs per bottle.

Along with Garret’s advice, when bottling fill 1 (or more) soda bottles. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. As CO2 is produced the bottle will expand. No more wondering what is happening in the glass bottles.

If planning ahead, you can fill several for camping. Or larger ones to take to the poker game.

Maybe even sneaking into the city park that is alcohol free. :shock: