Nice sunday. Happy easter

Cordon training is pretty straightforward, as long as your plants are vigorous enough to send a cane all the way to the first support wire in one growing season. You’ll want something like a 2-wire trellis to support them.

Before they start growing, cut the plant all the way back so there are only two buds on a single cane. You’ll want to start training the stronger of the two canes that grow, with the other as a backup for when the deer eat the one. Train the one up a stake until it’s a bit above the bottom support wire, and cut it off just below the support wire. This will cause the top lateral buds to send out canes, forming the arms. Might not get enough lateral growth until the second year. If it doesn’t make it all the way to the bottom wire, cut it back the next winter and start over, rather than trying to continue the one cane the following year.

I have Concord x Muscadine grapes from the UF extension that grow well here…unfortunately they are already leafing out so I may have missed my chance to prune them meaningfully this year. Beautiful deep purple fruit with tiny speckles, good to eat if the varmints don’t get them first!

You can, it’s just not ideal. Just expect the cut stems to bleed a bit, but they will anyways.

1 Like

I buy 6 gallon buckets of juice for my wine. Would like to up my game by adding skin from some home grown. Wild grapes are plentiful on the woods but don’t want to add those. Might want to make a a gose with them

Haha went from. Beer meat. To grapes. Did try grapes. On the island. Way to warm. So stick to small oranges and guave fruit. On the bright side. Tomorow. A brew day. A. Heffeweisen beer. Summer is coming

1 Like

Frontenac would be a solid choice. I believe it was developed by the university of Minnesota, like @flars mentioned. Works well for northern climates. Wild grapes would probably be great in a sour saison, too!

1 Like

Look at Mn extension… There are quite a few cold varieties… I haven’t heard of any for really warm… What is summer like down there Wilco… Aren’t you about day neutral all year long? Night and day are equal in time… Sneezles61

Getting some snow up there Yupper PC? Sneezles61

About all year around the same. Raining season from november untill january. Temp then about. 98 fh. During summer months. Around 110 to 120. But not humid. Thats why i start brewing most the time 3 pm cools down bit

Missed us by 10 miles to the south! Not complaining about that one bit. Got over a foot last Saturday.

1 Like

We got freezing rain followed by about 4" or so here in the western lower. Schools are even all called off for some reason.

1 Like

Pfff did brewsession today a hefeweizen but it was way warm out side. Got my self new hops in today. Nice

1 Like