newbie questions.

Hello all,
I’m just planning out my first batch and have a couple of questions.

1. in the secondary fermentor when SG is >.996, do I rack to another carboy THEN stabilize or do I stabilize in the same carboy.

2. is it possible to ‘over’ stir to degas? Do I degas just on stabilization day or 3x a day over 3 days?

3. if I use a mini jet filter, where do I use this? before bottling bucket? Is this mini jet filter worth it?

Thank you in advance! I can’t wait to get going.

Charlie

Hi, and welcome to a great hobby. How you process your batch depends on what it is. Are you starting from a kit? If yes, then follow the directions for the kit. If starting from fresh grapes, the process is different depending on if you are making red or white wine. To address your specific questions:

1. Don’t do either until the fermentation is done. It can end at anywhere from 0.992 to 0.998 depending on the wine. Take gravity readings with your hydrometer and if it hasn’t dropped over 2-3 days, it is done and ready to rack to a new container. After it is racked, then stabilize.

2. Yes, it is possible to over degas wine, but difficult to do so. Be careful how you initiate this, as the wine can foam up and overflow if you are too vigorous at the start. I’d recommend doing this in one day, so there is no risk of oxidation.

3. Mini jet is great filter, but can be frustrating to use for a beginner. There are a lot of details to learn about how to use the filter so it works properly and doesn’t do damage to the wine. I would add this piece of equipment some time in the future, after you’ve gotten a few batched under your belt. When you do use a filter, it is done immediately before bottling.

Thanks for the fast reply. I am using a wine kit. So I will follow the instruct to a T. Thanks for the advice on the mini filter.
Thanks again!! Have a great week.