Newbie fermenting question

I’m about to brew my first kit with my Deluxe Starter Kit. Once I have poured my wort into the primary fermenter and added my yeast I insert the rubber stopper and the airlock with sanitizer in it. Do I put the red cap on the airlock or keep that off?

You would want to keep the cap on the airlock. That cap pis mainly there to keep fruit flies out of the airlock. They are attracted to the smell of the fermentation.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to aerate the wort after cooling and pouring into the fermentor. Do you have the glass or plastic fermentors? Glass and plastic need to be handled differently to avoid breaking them during aeration. If you are using an aeration stone then just avoid setting them on hard surfaces, especially concrete.

Ask any question that comes up. Any questions about the yeast you plan to use?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder to aerate. I have a glass fermentor. Using a dry yeast that came with the Chinook IPA. I’m sure I will have more questions as I get ready for my first brew this weekend. thanks

When I first started, I didn’t put the red caps on, but as mentioned before, it attracted fruit flies that would fall into the Star Stan solution. Never hurt the beer, but its better to put the caps on to insure a clean airlock.

Enjoy and good luck!

1 Like