New years Barleywine

Well, temp doesn’t assure of complete/better conversion… Try it at 145*… If you are concerned go longer than an hour… optimal pH helps you get a little more out of your grist and is good for yeast health…
It would be a long conversation to cover what pH does and I don’t know all the squishy details…
Sneezles61

We shall see. Everytime I’ve checked my ph it’s been in the 5.2 to 5.4 range, even with an identical grain bill

1 Like

Just finished brewing the belgian golden strong. OG ended up around 1.085. I’ll probably leave this one in the keg for a while after transfering. Thanks again!!

1 Like

What yeast yeast strain did you get?
Sneezles61

Wyeast 1388

Nice! Ferment cool for a couple days, then up to room temp… Nice brew right there!!
Sneezles61

Yeh it was at 62 last night when I checked.

1 Like

Did you find a 4 pack of Duvel to sample?
Sneezles61

No I havent even looked.

How long should I let this age before I sample it?

Wait til it’s not burping… Then start your test sample… With the sugar in there, it should go rather quickly and be below 1.010…
Sneezles61

I meant after kegging…

Set it and forget it…,except for you have to sample it to determine its prime…
When you have half a keg, there abouts, left… It’s time to bottle for future imbibing!
Then time to brew another one? Yeast is good for a few more brews!
Sneezles61

Interesting. I could just bottle half the batch and keg the rest. I was under the impression not to reuse yeast that has been stressed by high gravity/alcohol.

When you use it again, you could give it a small pinch of yeast nutrient in the starter… I’ve pitched whites 570 a few times without any ill effect…
Yeah, it’s a big brew and having a few pints is bound to hose you up… I like this brew at the end of the day when it’s time turn down the lights and ease into the evening…
Sneezles61

Yeh. Sounds really nice. I might even bottle the entire batch. Makes me refrain from drinking so much while “sampling” until the keg is gone.

2 Likes

How about an ipa with marris otter?

Old school English style? I did one many years ago… But didn’t use enough hops… Is that then call a mild or a bitter?
Sneezles61

Yeh that’s kind of what I was thinking. An esb. Might be an impractical use of good malt being drenched with u.s hop varieties

There are quieter hops that may do well… willamete comes to mind… Even Cascades will be a great pairing… just don’t try to make SN pale ale… well then you could… Some C-60… Up the late hops…
Sneezles61