New to Home brewing

I successfully brewed my first small batch (1 gallon) IPA. I now want to scale up the recipe. I used online software to scale up the ingredients but I’m not sure if the Boil time should change.The small batch recipe calls for a 15 minute total boil time. When you scale up a recipe does the boil time have to scale up with it?

I am not sure if it is a linear relationship but I have been brewing 5 gal batches (extract and all grain), and the boil times have alway been 1 hour for these.

Boil time would change depending upon your hop additions. A 60 minute boil will increase the IBUs from the bittering hops of the recipe. To keep the bitterness at the same level the boil time would remain the same in most cases.

I’ve seen recipes for 15 minute pale ales but not an IPA. Doesn’t mean the 15 minute IPA doesn’t exist though.

Change the boil time in the software to see what it does to the bittering units.

IBU’s only change if I change when I add the hops. If I strictly change the boil time without changing the hop addition time the IBU’s stay the same. So that implies no change in boil time because I want the 5 gallon batch to taste the same as the 1 gallon batch.

The 15 minute extract IPA I’m making is 3 qts. water, 1 lb dry light malt extract, 10g simcoe for 15 min. and 18g simcoe at flameout. 3g US05 dry yeast. One of the best IPA’s i’ve ever tasted.

I’m assuming that if I don’t want additional bitterness, a 15 minute boil is sufficient to sanitize the wort and give me the same flavor/bitterness profile I achieved with the 1 gallon batch. Am I wrong?

Yes, scale everything up proportionally, and keep the boil times the same. The recipe is designed for less bitterness and more hop flavor from the shorter boil time. Some considerations, though - you will probably have more boil-off in the 5-gallon batch, which will be minimized by the 15 minute boil instead of an hour. Also, how are you going to chill the hot wort? Every minute you are above 180F you’ll be evaporating flavor compounds from the hops and increasing bitterness, so you’ll want to chill it as quickly as the 1-gallon recipe.

I think i’ll have to either buy or make myself a immersion chiller for the larger batch. Small batch I’ve just immersed the pot in a sink of ice water. Although its minus 10 degrees outside so a snow bank will probably due until spring. :slight_smile:

Along with a lid… When the wort get cooled off, it becomes a breeding ground for undesirables… Hence the quick chill and pitch yeast… Sneezles61

I chilled my 3 gallon gose outside in a bin filled with water and snow. Went inside door dinner went to check it and it was at 45. Had to warm it back up.

I’ve done very limited testing but the 2 beers I made with short, 30 min boils had really poor stability. These were AG batches so it may work with extract that has been processed.

Probably didn’t get enough proteins and other materials out of the wort with an all grain 30 minute boil. How did it go bad?

My first immersion chiller was just a 25’ copper flex coil bent into an approximate shape, with some high temp tubing hose clamped on and a faucet adapter for the sink. Worked fine. Be careful with a snowbank, you actually want it in a water bath in the cold. Snow is a great insulator, so as soon as the layer immediately touching the pot melts, the small air space around the pot will slow down the heat transfer.

Also, the wort in extract is already boiled, so as soon as it’s dissolved it can pretty much be fermented. No boiling is necessary if everything starts out sanitary. The boil in your kit is just for hop extraction.

2 Likes

Poor shelf life. Bitterness faded quickly, lost flavor and aroma of hops. I too contribute it to not pulling enough protein and other hot break out of the wort. In addition I don’t feel the alpha acids were isomerized fully. Which makes sense as those beers with all bitterness being attributed to late hopping suggest drinking the beer immediately.

So a brief analogy, short and shoddy with all grain works if you can drain the keg almost immediately? Sneezles61

Makes perfect sense… I suppose when the hop flavor fades, you don’t have the bitterness from the 60 minute addition left to balance the flavor profile. Part of the reason I stopped making 5-gallon IPA batches, no way to drink it all before the flavor dies!

Quite simple fix. Just erase the I on the chaulk board

I think Porkchop needs more imbibing time… IMHO… :wink: Sneezles61

I like your thought process!

2 Likes