New Spreadsheet

Dray’s New Sake Calculator

Hello folks,

Been trying to figure out what was wrong with my calculator and now I have figured it out.

I failed to understand the 25:100:160 (koji:rice:water) was the total ratios for the whole batch, not just the moromi. The moto is a percentage of the moromi - subtract out the moto ingredients and the leftover is used in the moromi. Original batch ratios come back in line when the moto and moromi are added together.

So the sheet will use ratios for the whole finished batch.

The sheet will ask for the following facts:

All ingredient inputs are expected to be in pounds.

1. What % of the batch makes up the moto.

2. What are the moromi and moto ratios.

3. Choose how you scale the batch, using 4 limiting ingredient choices.

4. Batch moromi and moto sizes are determined by how much rice is used for koji, rice for steaming, total rice, and water.

5. How many hours for the buildup to be complete.

6. Configure how to part out the moromi for 3 additions. A 1:2:4 ratio doubles the addition amounts.

7. Configure how to part out time for each addition. A 4:2:1 will halve the time to the next step.

With those inputs, the sheet will map out your recipe and keep ratios in check and has a guide to perform doubling and halving time buildup of the moromi.

The 4 limiting ingredient options figures out a batch size based on what you have the least of. They are rice for steaming, rice for koji, water and total rice used.

Total rice used will partition out how much rice goes to koji and steamed portions using the recipe ratios, then the rest will be computed. Essentially says make me sake with X total pounds of rice.

I wanted the calculator to get close to Taylor-MadeAK’s recipe so that I could verify the calculations to being very similar. In order to do this, I had to assume through some math cups in the guide was expecting 8oz weight per cup. By doing this, everything seems to fall right into place.

Most ratios I have read dealt with dry rice before makeing koji/steaming. This is why I made the calculator to use weight and not volume. It makes things slightly more complex. Since a cup of koji won’t match a cup of rice that went into the koji, the ratio’s were bent slightly - but not enough to fully care. I’m kinda likening my spreadsheet to tinkering with water profiles stage in beer home brewing.

On the dry rice vs made koji. After making the koji, weigh it. If 2.5 pounds of dry rice was used to make all the koji for the batch, then when the spreadsheet shows to use .25 pounds of koji, take (.25 * weight of finished koji) / 2.5 to determine how much in pounds you need to use of the finished koji. Since the steamed rice will be made in steps, you won’t have to do this.

It is the assumption the ratios have taken into effect moisture of the koji and steamed rice.
On average, steamed rice will have anywhere from 30-33% moisture, with fresh koji having 24-28% and dry koji somewhere around 22%.

I will be adding inputs for what you think the steamed rice and koji % moisture are, as well as what % by weight will rice hold water, something like grain water absorption. From this I can calculate total water content in the batch, multiply this by an arbitrary press/process efficiency % and you will have an estimated yield. I put in 68% percent reflecting how much clear sake I get from the batch.

Thanks!
Dray