New guy to Brewing

Hello All,

Just thought I would take a minute to say hello.
I finally jumped in with the great deal on the Brew. Share. Enjoy kit.

This next part might stir some people up a bit

I would like to figure out the right beer for me to brew, so let me give you a little background.
No flaming please but I have been drinking whatever light beer for the past 20 years or so.
I don’t think these beers are awesome but I certainly can’t stand to choke down the hoppy, bitter stuff that most folks around here consider “Good Beer” (I don’t even want to learn to like an IPA)

But then I tried a couple of craft beers that I really liked alot.
Sun King Cream Ale is really the beer that told me there is more out there and I have GOT to figure out how to make me some.
Sam Adams’ Cold Snap is the only beer of theirs that I can stand.
Shock Top is good - I catch hell for that since its made by AB and therefore must have no flavor - but I say as long as the flavor isn’t that charred toast lingering flavored “Craft Beer” that everyone loves to sit around and talk about.

So I bought some equipment and a Cream Ale Extract kit hoping for the best while being cautiously optimistic that something can come out of it that the wife and I will like (she will only drink Bud Light draft, not even canned)
I have been reading on here about some guys have made a vanilla cream ale. Sure its not true to the style but I realy don’t care about that I care about making something I like.

So my question/statement to you guys is…
What do you think about my quest?
I know I won’t have a cheap beer clone on my hands here and thats not what I am after.
This is a new venture where I want to learn to brew something that I like/ experience new things.
I can’t get the Sun King that I like in my area so I would really like to make something similar to that for now then try to play around with the creamy vanilla stuff later.

Cheers.
Greg

Welcome to the forum Greg.

First understand that cream ale was the answer to Classic American Pilsner by ale Brewers who were either unwilling or unable to brew lagers. So, if that’s the only style your interested in I think it’s not only cheaper, but much much more easy to just buy light lagers or cream ales.

With that said I enjoy brewing both cream ales and light lagers. There is nothing to hide behind so any flaws in your process are glaring! Plus, you can make them with a fresher taste as well as a little more flavorful.

Also, there are other styles that are out there that you might like. Kolsch style beer is a hybrid (between an ale and a lager) light beer that you might enjoy. Check out blondes (both American and Belgian). One thing to remember is that there are other beers out there that aren’t IPA hop bombs or thick, roasty stouts/porters.

Thanks Josh for the feedback.

What is a Kolsch style like?
I have googled it but when I google any beer I got all sorts of beer snob terms.
It’s also tough to ask these questions of people who love or are used to the taste of hops.

Greg

Sounds like John Palmer’s “Your Father’s Moustache” might be a good recipe to try and might be an eye opener to how good even American light lagers _can_be…

voodoo donut -

This must be a recipe from his book?

First you say we shouldn’t make fun of the beer you like then you go on to make disparaging remarks about some of the beers " people around here seem to like " If all you want to drink is light beer and cream ale there isn’t much in this hobby for you. It’s much cheaper and easier to just go out and buy a thirty pack of “whatever”. But if you want to learn about beer and all the different styles and have an open mind home brewing is an awesome hobby. And I’ll bet if you pay attention you will realize that IPA is probably not the favorite style of home brewers. If you don’t like hoppy or toasty beer and you still want to make beer, Go straight into lagering and I’ll bet you will make some beer you and your wife like and will never drink that FP again.

[quote=“aldrichg9”]Thanks Josh for the feedback.

What is a Kolsch style like?
I have googled it but when I google any beer I got all sorts of beer snob terms.
It’s also tough to ask these questions of people who love or are used to the taste of hops.

Greg[/quote]

http://www.northernbrewer.com/kolsch-extract-kit

Also, if your intent on brewing lighter beers you better get acquainted with late additions of DME/LME. Plenty of info on the web about that. You also better get your brewing process down pat as once again there is NOTHING to hide about.

As far as shock top. If you want to make a Belgian wit with a little less character use us-05 yeast, white labs 01, or wyeast 1056. It won’t add any of the “tartness or funkiness”.

Brew Cat
I really did not mean to be negative about what I said.
Was just trying to say that I don’t like what some people tell me is good.

I really appreciate your input.
While I am still gaining an understanding of the whys and hows of lagering I have wondered if that’s what I should work toward.
Your comment about this tells me maybe I should continue to lean that way.

I am trying to keep an open mind and see whats out there, while diving in and trying new things to see what I like.
I even bought a variety pack of some different beers at Meijer a couple weeks ago (this is a big step for me)

Well cheers guys
:cheers:

The thing about lagers is since they ferment from the bottom they end up being a cleaner tasting beer which sound like something you would like. Of course you can make a clean ale also . Many lagers use less hops and hops with a more delicate profile. Use a lager recipe with a clean ale yeast fermented in the cooler range and you can get a beer close to a lager. It’s all fun. Get your wife involved in the hobby and have fun with it. I bet before long the only beer you’ll be enjoying is your own like the rest of us. By the way I’m just sensitive about the IPA thing. IMO the IPA thing has gotten out of hand, a lot of people think that is the only type of craft beer, not by a long shot. I hardly drink them anymore. :cheers: back

Welcome to the forum, Greg.

My story is kinda backward in that I was drawn into craft beer by ipa’s but my tastes have evolved toward the opposite end of the spectrum. Although I like a good ipa, I now prefer less hoppy brews over the entire spectrum-porters, stouts, german lagers, sours, belgians, cream ales, and the like. Early on, I would never have believed I would gravitate towards these beers. I think you’ll find that as you progress as a brewer, your tastes will travel as well. So do keep an open mind, and don’t be afraid to try anything. I used to think how gross a milk stout must be-until I finally tried one. Eureka! Why did I wait so long? Found my favorite brew in a style I had earlier thought to be weird.

What I’ve done is, like you, find a good beer store and do my best to at least taste as many styles and brands as possible. And pay attention to the folks on this forum so that I know which commercial brews are a good representation of the style I’m looking for. The only style I have never liked is scotch ale, but I’m always willing to try a new one just in case.

Then, start brewing. Somehow, I think the process of brewing gives you a respect for all styles of beer, and maybe fosters an openness and willingness to branch out. I know it has for me.

Best of luck on the quest. And consider yourself warned, this hobby is addicting.

Ron

Welcome to the forum, Greg.

My story is kinda backward in that I was drawn into craft beer by ipa’s but my tastes have evolved toward the opposite end of the spectrum. Although I like a good ipa, I now prefer less hoppy brews over the entire spectrum-porters, stouts, german lagers, sours, belgians, cream ales, and the like. Early on, I would never have believed I would gravitate towards these beers. I think you’ll find that as you progress as a brewer, your tastes will travel as well. So do keep an open mind, and don’t be afraid to try anything. I used to think how gross a milk stout must be-until I finally tried one. Eureka! Why did I wait so long? Found my favorite brew in a style I had earlier thought to be weird.

What I’ve done is, like you, find a good beer store and do my best to at least taste as many styles and brands as possible. And pay attention to the folks on this forum so that I know which commercial brews are a good representation of the style I’m looking for. The only style I have never liked is scotch ale, but I’m always willing to try a new one just in case.

Then, start brewing. Somehow, I think the process of brewing gives you a respect for all styles of beer, and maybe fosters an openness and willingness to branch out. I know it has for me.

Best of luck on the quest. And consider yourself warned, this hobby is addicting.

Ron

Don’t sweat it, taste is so subjective. I get a bit of a raised eyebrow because yeast funk is something I just don’t dig. I can’t even handle the yeast in Shock Top! The fact of the matter is that being beer is a great hobby. Even if you still keep buying light lagers, you will learn more about how beer is made, and appreciate commercial beers more. Keep an open mind, but don’t feel guilty about liking what you like. Read up on the forum, and ask away. And we’re not huge snobs around here, do don’t feel intimidated. Most of us are happy to talk about beer in easy terms.

[quote=“aldrichg9”]voodoo donut -

This must be a recipe from his book?[/quote]

Yes, from “How to Brew” by John Palmer. Also variations on Home Brew Forums, other blogs, etc.

Like Frenchie, I have learned to enjoy more subtle malt forward styles as much as bitter hop bombs. Just tonight I was fortunate enough to enjoy a bomber of Heady Topper “drink from the can” DIPA, and followed that up with my “don’t fear the REAPER” pumpkin ales, decidedly NOT hoppy. AND shared one of my Hefe’s with my wife over sauerkraut dinner. (Yes I can still walk :mrgreen: )

Um.,. Yeah it’s only slightly addictive. Lol

Take your time reading up on everything first.

I was told by a brewmaster that replicating Bud Light was very difficult…I asked him why anyone would waste time and money doing that and his reply was you would be surprised. I love a good cream ale in summer. Look at some of the “lawn mower beers” Also I’m thinking you might enjoy a Irish Red. Starting out brewing with a light beer might not be the best since as said above are much less forgiving of some mistakes first time brewers make. I also totally agree on the IPAs I can’t stand them either :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the feedback.
I’m surprised to have more than one person say that IPA isn’t their most favorite style.
I have caught quite a bit of crap around here for not being on board the craze.

So I have this NB cream ale extract kit arriving today.
I have been considering pulling back on the hops a bit, or adding it later in the boil.
But - I also thought about following the directions the first time then modifying to my taste the next batch of it I try.
Also - my beer will be fermenting in my bonus room above the garage.
Currently the temp there is around 60 and will be dropping some with the outside temperature as I don’t keep it very warm.
I’m thinking these cooler temps will be better for my first batch but I want to be sure. Any input on this?

Whatever happens I will post back here when I have a finished product.

As a side note I have read a couple posts where guys recommended a cream or milk stout, rather than modifying a cream ale to a creamy vanilla.
So what is a cream stout like? I picture very dark burnt nut tasting stuff.
I’m willing to try anything.
Is there a good example I can try to find in the stores?

Do folks on this site like pictures? I could take pictures of brew day if you want but I guess most people here have seen it hundreds of times.

Your bonus room sounds perfect. When it gets down to 50 or so you can ferment a lager. Cream ale and milk stout are two different animals. Go ahead and post pictures if you like, it’s all fun.

There’s an older version of Palmer’s “How to Brew” free on-line at howtobrew.com

“Brewing Classic Styles” is an excellent starting point for touring beer styles either virtually or by following his recipes.

Ken Lenard’s site at http://www.freewebs.com/kenlenard/ is loaded with excellent information for all brewers - novice to expert. I’ve been using a lot of his recipes and techniques recently and they are excellent in spite of my poor technique. He leans toward lagers, but also has recipes for some outstanding ales. He has recipes for two blond ales, “Memory Lapse Pale Ale”, a Kolsch, a wheat ale, and … All are very good. None are extreme and the ones I’ve listed might be a good introduction to brewing.

Has anyone mentioned that you’re unlikely to save money brewing your own beer? It may start out that way, but when your circle of friends suddenly expands, you’ll find it’s a little more expensive - and much more enjoyable because you can adjust recipes to suit yourself - and all your new friends.

It’s been mentioned a couple of times in this thread about the money.
That was a motivator a couple years ago when I first started looking into homebrewing.

I have however been looking around long enough at the costs involved to know that this is not about money.

I really just want to brew something myself that I can share with friends and be proud of.

I’ve been homebrewing cheap hooch for some time now (ferment sugar water, add grape concentrate)
I want to make something that tastes good and isn’t just cheap swill.

Thanks old_dawg for the links and the suggestions.
I will definitely look into the Kolsch recipe!

Greg

Did you look into the late malt extract additions that I mentioned? That will help with your lighter styles.

What is it about hops you don’t like? If it’s bitterness then look at your first hop additions. If it’s the flavor/aroma look at your late additions. If it’s both of may need to cut both. Lighter styles however are not notorious for being hop monsters so I would brew that cream ale kit as is and see where it takes you.