New Englan Cida

The boys around here been makin cida for generations. I based my cida on my buddies family recipe. Healthy dose of raisons and brown sugar. Not as strong as they do it and I pitched English ale yeast where is they just ferment it in a barrel they been using a while that maybe gets a quick rinse. Anyway this year I racked it after 5 days and to the tertiary after 2 more weeks at .000. All other years I left in the primary and it threw sulferr for awhile. This has no sulfer at all after this short time. I’ll leave it alone for a month then carb it up for Thanksgiving. 7.5% and it’s tasty so far. I’m wondering if the raisons will give it some body. Ive got some late apples coming in anyone got any recipes they like to share.

And now I’m craving clam chowda.

The raisins will provide lots of nutrients for the yeast, which are normally missing in apple juice. This can help keep the yeast from producing hydrogen sulfide during the early stages of fermentation, which is what I would suspect happened.

By far the best cider I’ve made was using kveik yeast - not a hint of sulfur, and it maintained more apple aroma and flavor in the finished product than any other yeast I have tried. Just straight apple juice and yeast, nothing else added. I highly recommend this yeast, the cider it made was awesome!

2 Likes

Well this batch use English ale s 04. It has alot of apple flavor and sweetness and nice body. Like I said it’s at .000 now wondering what it will do from here. I would just keg it and call it done but I plan on bottling some so I’ll wait

Good chance it’s done at that gravity… If you’re kegging, you could always go the k-meta/sorbate route and bottle off the keg. You could try a forced fermentation test with a bit, too, to see if it wants to drop any lower. But 1.000 is reasonable with S-04. If you let it go that extra month and it’s still at that gravity, I’d bottle it.

1 Like

Carbed up and it didn’t drop anymore. This is the best cider I’ve made yet

1 Like