New Brewer, just finished bottling

Hi! I just finished bottling my first 1 gallon batch, after allowing it to ferment in the carboy for 15 days. This was a tad messy (it took some adjustment for me to use the siphon) and I am seriously wishing I’d had a five gallon bucket with a spigot for this process, but live and learn. I will be traveling over the next couple weeks and wondered if it will be fine to let the brew sit at room temperature for another 15 days. At that point, do I just simply taste it and move it to the refrigerator? I’m new to all this and want to get the best flavor as possible. Thanks!

At least 15 days of waiting would be perfect. Room temperature.Three weeks will be even better. At that point take one of the bottles and put it in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours and then taste it to see if the rest are ready.

3 Likes

Make your own 1 gallon bottling bucket. A 1 gallon bucket, bottling wand, and spigot; a little effort to cut a hole and insert the spigot.

Did you use the bottling cane on the end of your siphon hose or a clamp? Makes a big difference

I used a bottling cane. There must have been some back pressure because the hose forced itself off of the bottling cane, resulting in unfermented beer spraying all over. Is a clamp the better choice?

The cane works better. There really is no pressure. I guess it depends on the hose bit it should fit in there pretty tight.

I use 3/8" inside diameter tubing to attach the bottling wand to the bucket spigot without any problems. I recently switched to 5/16" ID tubing for my siphon. Hard to get on the racking cane. Have to hold both under hot water to get it on far enough that it won’t pop itself off. Figure with the force it takes the racking cane will eventually be broken putting sharp glass into my hand. I’m going back to 3/8" ID for the siphon. Never had any problems with bubbles forming anyway. I guess I fixed a problem that didn’t exist.

The 3/8" ID on the siphon also increases the flow rate for a better swirl in the bottom of the bucket to mix the priming solution.

I have a question regarding carbonation in the bottles.

After trying a couple that have been put in the refrigerator, and have decided that the carbonation is right, do you put them all in the refrigerator to stop the carbonation? If you don’t to this, will the carbonation level continue to rise and eventually be overcarbed?

At that point go ahead and put them all in the refrigerator. They’re ready. Once the priming sugar is used up by the yeast they will not continue to carb…

2 Likes

Is the flavor right for the beer you brewed. The beer will continue to carbonate until the yeast uses up all the priming sugar. Refrigeration will slow carbonation but it will continue very, very slowly if sugars remain. There is no rule that says you must refrigerate when the carbonation is right if it is a beer that improves with aging at room temperature.

I age some beers but enjoy a few along the way.

1 Like

Your taking cane is glass?

Wouldn’t that be called a pipette? As in a scientific lab? Does that mean Flars is a … Scientist? :sunglasses: Sneezles61

Thank you. I was using the whole 5oz corn sugar bag for a 5ish gallon batch. I would only put a few in the fridge at a time. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you can taste the overcarbonation. I use the priming sugar calculator now and it is much better. When they are ready, i will put them all in the fridge.

You guys are awesome!

2 Likes

When you age, you age in the fridge if carbonation is good? I bottled a Caribou Slobber today, and would like to be patient enough to it sit for 2-3 months (while tasting 1-2 a week).

I can’t seem to leave them alone long enough.

I have 3 different batches (Irish Red Ale, Zombie Dirt, Caribou Slobber) bottled in various stages of conditioning. Maybe that will help.

Yes you need to brew alot to stay ahead.

1 Like

Aw shucks… Frank… You keep brewing, keep learning, reading and keep posting/talking with us… It goes from hobby to obsession… I think you are hooked! Sneezles61

1 Like