NE IPA reviews

Or yer pH was off in the mash and extracted some extra proteins, which could cause haziness… Sneezles61

1 Like

My ph was fine around 5.4 I believe I’m pretty sure it’s the oats. I’ve only use flaked grain in porters so this would be my first pale. From what I have been reading about New England IPA flaked oats are used. Now apparently there is a difference between NEIPA and IPA brewed in New England. This is my first expieriment with the style.

So Pietro I’m waiting for your valuable input on my NEIPA post. I know you like them and brew them.

A couple of pointers I have found helpful in brewing 10 or so of these per year:

-Esters are equally important, if not more important than truckloads of hops:
Conan Yeast aka VT ale yeast is very temperamental generation to generation, but generally, generation 2-7 are the best, according to Kimmich, who uses only this yeast. I would recommend brewing a low gravity beer like a mild for 1st gen, then repitch
You do want some yeast growth. We have had good results both pitching at 62 with a quick ramp after 24 hours to 68, and pitching and holding at 68.
There are also supposedly some good Brit ale yeasts out there (IIRC London Ale III) that are a little more consistent gen to gen and will give you similar ester profiles.

Clarity:

The yeast is generally pretty powdery and doesn’t floc well, so haze is attributable to that, high protein content in the malt of choice (TF Pearl), and hops
I personally think the “Glass of Fleishmann’s Yeast” beers like Treehouse are overrated and gimmicky. I find HF, HT, SoS, and Trillium to have a much brighter hop character and great citrus/stone fruit. Too much yeast gets in the way, but don’t do more than a simple 4-7 day cold crash to get the heavy stuff out. No gelatin.

Recipes:
Bear Flavored’s Heady Topper clone is really solid. There is another recipe out there for SoS that we have used with good results (IIRC it uses Chico and oats). 90% good pale base malt, touch of wheat and maybe carafoam for head and mouthfeel.

Hops:
Ideally, you want hopshot at 60 (or even a bigger quantity at 30), then all flameout/hopstand and dry hops

Oxidation:
I am a believer than oxidation ruins beers WAY more often than homebrewers realize. Closed loop transfers from fermenter to keg, spund/naturally carb if you can. Big dry hop additions during active fermentation have worked really well for us.

More:

Watch this. Then watch it again. Lot of great clues in there.

Good luck!

1 Like

Sorry for dredging up this zombie… on the topic of hazy IPAS. I’m no purist, I’ve drunk plenty of ugly beers. But hanging out in the beer world of Instagram, dear God, I can’t believe how proud everyone is of ugly, hazy beer! If I brewed something that looked like this, I’d never speak of it:

2 Likes

If you manage to get your hands on some Treehouse… good grief. As cloudy and over-hyped as it is delicious. I’ve been going out of my way to try to make beers this cloudy with decent brewing technique.

You know what? They drop clear after a few weeks in the bottle. I’m calling this out as a gimmick.

1 Like

That looks like orange juice.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s a hell of a thing to drink, but it certainly isn’t photogenic. It’s absolutely a gimmick, but this is pushing the limit for me. I look at these #juice #dank pictures, and the last thing I feel is the urge to drink that muddy slop.

1 Like

I’ve been leaving out the Irish moss and using flaked oats to keep mine cloudy. It doesn’t look like that but neither do the beers I’ve had from tree house.

I’m sure you could make its equal. It’s really good, but so is a well done home brewed IPA with lots of late addition hops, at the peak of freshness.

Thats pretty close to what me wort looks like when I squish the sh%t out of it in the basket, before the boil!:confounded: Sneezles61

Not sure how they get that orange color.

Flour added to the boil is one method. Not sure if this particular brewery is doing it, but there are some that do.

I’m not so sure it is all that great to drink. What I found is that the cloudiness creates a dulling of beer flavor.

1 Like

Not gonna add flour but the flaked oats give it a nice mouth feel anyway

1 Like