NB Bourbon Barrel Porter lag time?

So yesterday my dad and I made a full boil 5 gallon bourbon barrel extract kit. Everything went great. Hit target OG(1.063), Wyeast 1728(manufacture date of 4/27/17), made a yeast starter the day before, used BSG yeast nutrient and vigorous shook it for 2 minutes once everything was together. I do a swamp cooler and have the temperature around 62. I woke up this am expecting to find some activation but there was none. It was about 18 hours after brewing when I check. I was a little disappointed considering all the extra steps I took with the yeast. Any ideas what’s going on?

I would let it go for another 12 hours and then peek inside to see if you see a krausen forming. I used Windsor yeast for this recipe and it was going nuts for 3 days and then completely stopped. I don’t have any experience with the yeast you used, but as long as you didn’t pitch too warm I would think your yeast will take off within the day.

1 Like

Your at 62*, your yeast will be a bit sluggish … It will ramp up and take off. Was there activity in the starter jar? I have very quick results pitching when the yeast is cranking out foam/krausen in the starter jar… That will take a few trial and errors to find that… Don’t give up! Sneezles61

1 Like

I open the door to the closet and check on it every couple of hours but I’m working 12 hour shift today so it’s killing me not to see what’s going on til tonight. Haha.

What temp should I be at? Package said between 55 and 75. I figured low 60 would be better. I made the starter Thursday around 3 and pitched it at 10 on Friday morning.

Did you have the starter wort in the low 60° range or the porter wort. Starters are best at ambient room temperature to become active.

1 Like

I can chill to 65-68… I am tinkering a bit with let it start fermenting… then turn the freez-menter to 64… I am leaning more towards, allowing the yeast to get rolling, then to drop the temp… when I test and the reading is within .005-.008, then let it come up to room temp to finish off. I’m having good luck, and since doing 10 gallons in the keg… I am not in such a rush to get it in the line up… Sneezles61

1 Like

Porter wort in the low 60s. Wyeast 1728 recommended range is 55 to 75. Figures low 60s was the best. Not too hot or cold.

I look forward to the day when I can get a deep freezer and a temperature control and be able to dial it in more.

1 Like

just a heads up, it’s fermenting just fine, I just wasn’t patient enough!

3 Likes

Looking good. The thermometer strip gives accurate readings when it isn’t covered as you have it. I made the mistake of covering it with the wet towel – once.

2 Likes

Same with having the swamp cooler water just a wee bit too high :grinning:

1 Like

Once again, can’t wait to get a deep freezer! Haha

1 Like

Get a big one. I got lucky when my bro in law and sis closed their shrimp farm…got one that can hold four kegs and co2 tank without building a collar :grinning: And we just got a new fridge so the old one has become a lagerfermator.

1 Like