NB bought by AB/InBev?

This is the article that @sneezles61 was talking about.

Fellow homebrewers, I implore you that if AB-InBev slashes prices to run other online vendors or LHBS out of business DO NOT buy their product.

They can kick me off this site, whatever, but please do not support this behavior. Remember, homebrewing is a COMMUNITY. Supporting this abolishes OUR community and runs others out of business while AB-InBev loses money. They can take the loss because once others are out of business, they’ll be the only supplier.

2 Likes

Thank you Loopie! Sneezles61

This whole thing makes you ponder…

I wonder if at the close of the negotiations and the deal was done, both parties cheered to tall cold glass of Peach of Resistance Ale?

For those of you who don’t remember, Northern Brewer responded to Budweiser’s diss on craft beer drinkers (with their “Brewed the Hard way” TV commercial), by creating a kit of the very beer that Budweiser made fun of. It was big FU to Bud and I had so much respect for NB when they did that. My how quickly things change! Oh, the irony!

First, understand that ZX Ventures IS AB-InBev. AB-InBev is so desperate to make up losses they’ve endured from the rapid growth and expansion of the craft beer market, that they are looking to infiltrate any crack in any business with an influence in or can give them insight or upper hand into the craft beer world. All of us know that craft brewers/breweries are largely inspired by homebrewers and trends in homebrewing. Us homebrewers are the true innovators with regard to whats going on in the craft beer world. How many of us over the years have come up with an idea or recipe for a unique beer, only to find months later that a brewery somewhere is now doing the same thing? And how many homebrewers are now working for breweries? Make no mistake folks, AB-InBev knows this. Part of me wants to be flattered. I give it to them, they’re smart. I’m not quite sure what their ultimate MO is in this deal and there is more than meets the eye. But what I am sure of is that it’s not going to result in lower prices/savings or better access to goods/materials for us. There may be savings, but it will be them and not us that will benefit from them. And the exact opposite may happen with prices actually going up rather than down for us the consumers. Don’t be naive, ZX Ventures aka AB-InBev is a for profit business and expects a return on their investment. They intend to get it in more ways than one. - Wouldn’t knowing what the next big thing in brewing was be a profit for AB-InBev. Scenario: Hey Fred our people in NB tell us there is a lot of noise from HomeBrewers about using Streak Rubs in their beers, why don’t you do a test run of a few of their recipies and see what the tasters like? I certainly would have like to know about Microsoft today 20 years ago. _

AB-InBev is an evil company. It’s a company that uses it’s money and power to influence lawmakers & politicians, control distribution chains, retail space, shelf space, and ultimately oppress smaller breweries including your local brewery down the street from you. Do the research. All this information is out there and you can easily find many of these facts on your own. - **P.S.S.S.T. I hate to tell you this but ALL companies have their PACs, lawmakers and politicians.**

Its quite funny to see Northern Brewer give a press release with almost the exact same spill as a brewery that’s been bought out by AB-InBev. “Nothing will change” and “the same people will continue to work here”. But if you look deeper into those deals a year or two after, things do in fact change and the same people are no longer working there. That language is just a song and dance to make current customers feel ok about the acquisition. -No context, why did the people leave? Maybe they really didn’t like the company, or maybe they moved to the competition for a better deal. My brother has worked for the same company for 30 years, they’ve been taken over 3 times, People leave, get promoted, move away, change careers, die and get fired all the time.

I’ve lost respect for Northern Brewer. I will no longer be making purchases from Northern Brewer. I can not and will not support any company that is affiliated with or owned by AB-InBev as my beliefs, philosophies, and values simply do not align with those companies. It’s a personal decision and it’s my decision.

Please, whenever possible, support your LHBS. Support your local Brewery.

_I hear this time and time again; WHY should I buy from company A over B. What benefit to ME is there in paying more for the same item? What extra does the LHBS supply, that I can’t get from NB(no matter who owns it)? BTW, the closest LHBS is 60mile away, I can go north or south same distance. The one south, after talking to the owner, was only going to carry that product that had a high turnover rate. The one to the north was a snob, found out I wanted a grain he didn’t like and could get me out of the shop fast enough. _

I am fortunate in that I have a good LHBS about 20 miles away. I’ve primarily bought brewing supplies from them after I stopped doing kits about 18 months into my homebrewing journey.

I don’t think AB-InBev is evil, it’s just business…that being said, Thantos43, another business truism is that maintaining choice is good. If you don’t support your LHBS or alternate your online purchases with different companies going forward, choice WILL go away.

1 Like

Do know the company real well. They are not far from where i do use to live. But they are into money. And expending. There web in the brew world. Look at their web page. All over the world they are. Most stores and brewerys they did buy. They had a increase on the price of there products. They dont care about the regular. Beer brewer. Only money. Can understand nb. A bit. They got a major offer. One you can not refuse. So why not on the end. Will still buy the products. But i am not loyal to the same. Company. I buy from a store in orlando as well. On the end proberly nb dont care. If some. People will not buy at there store. Their will be new clients. Coming and going

" If you don’t support your LHBS or alternate your online purchases with different companies going forward, choice WILL go away"

But that is the whole point. At this point in time, I have no local store to “support”. As I said, neither store (both equal distance away at 1hr drive) offers much choice. One shop is “snobbish” and won’t ever carry the grain I wanted and the other is a wine shop branching into beer brewing. Not much choice, I’d love to have a LHBS 20 miles away, would I use them? Maybe. Depends on what they have, what I need, and service. I’m not brand loyal.

I don’t agree that choice has to diminish, that it “Will go away”, it very well might. Not supporting NB may have the same detrimental effects. What happens if 1000 NB customers decide to no longer purchase from them; won’t AB-InBev then make whatever changes necessary to return to a profitable position even if it mean staffing and product cuts? Kind of makes Wombat’s prophecy self-filling.

I don’t agree with blindly supporting any business simply because it is “Local” or the biggest, its all about ME the customer.

1 Like

Any small breweries close by? Able to buy a sack of barley? Maybe inquire if they will give/sell you a quart of yeast? Bail of hops? some digging around may find some different results. Sneezles61

1 Like

Agree to disagree on this…which is always a nice feature of this forum. Civility.

1 Like

We should truly push back as a community because homebrewing / craft beer will be forever changed by this acquisition. And those who think nothing will happen or that all will be fine are being naive. Companies like AB-inBev only do things to benefit them and solely for profit. Nothing good comes out of greed.

Next time NB / Midwest Supply sets up a booth at a homebrewing show, AHA conference or the like, we as a community should stick together and purposefully not visit said booth. Let them stand there twiddling their thumbs in silence and let them now we hold the cards. They could not give me enough free things to support them anymore. A company that we supported and helped grow to what it is today, can easily be taken down by the same folks. No sales, no profit, no company anymore. I’m just sayin.

I don’t mind differing opinions, but we should not forget that NB provides this forum to exchange ideas in brewing at no cost.

I like that, yet, do would like someone from up high to come and tell us why? Sneezles61

There’s a lot of tin foil in this thread.

3 Likes

I prefer mylar seems to work better for me. Not knocking tin foil whatever works

But really, stainless over aluminum for the hats, amirite?

1 Like

What about lead?

We aint the ones that tipped the boat over… Sneezles61

With regard to NB and it’s new alliance with AB-I, I really don’t see why some homebrewers have such a big problem with it. The “tinfoil hat” references elsewhere in the thread are quite apt. If NB continues to offer good products, value, and customer service (and probably even improve on the status quo, which is more likely) then how is that a bad thing?
And for twin cities homebrewers, they would certainly still be an LHBS store employing local people, as well as supporting the local economy.
Fighting “the man” is one thing (I came of age in the '60s and '70s, so believe me…I get it :grin:) …but cutting off your nose to spite your face is just plain silly, especially for those who are local to NB itself). I’m fortunate in that I have at least three very good, well stocked LHBS stores ‘local’ to where I live, all of which I support and have recommended many times. NB has a great reputation and will still be on my short (though seldom used) list of trusted online retailers when I need a rare widget, adaptor, or piece of gear not obtainable locally).
And I would continue to use my local options regardless of who may someday end up acquiring them, as long as inventory, value, and customer service are maintained.
Having said all of that, I’ll even go so far as to congratulate NB for this move.

1 Like
1 Like

I havent a problem with this. I do have a value to peeps and business around me, which will still be my motive. I’ve stated my footing, and will stand there. Sneezles61

1 Like