My latest Vienna Lager

Interesting Danny- hope it mellows out to your satisfaction.
In my case, last year’s Vienna I used Tettnanger, Saaz, and Hallertau. This year used Tett,Saaz, and Hersbruker. I thought last year’s version had a off-flavor that I couldn’t really identify, but it’s not there this year. Of course, I did use a different yeast as well, so that could have been it.

In my case, last year’s Vienna I used Tettnanger, Saaz, and Hallertau. This year used Tett,Saaz, and Hersbruker. I thought last year’s version had a off-flavor that I couldn’t really identify, but it’s not there this year. Of course, I did use a different yeast as well, so that could have been it.[/quote]
Only thing different here is the hops. Same grist, process and yeast. I’ve used hersbrucker for flavor/aroma before so I’m guessing it’s the bittering charge that’s a little too much character for where I want this beer.

I blended half a glass of it with half of my czech pils which needed more bittering and it’s pretty damn tasty. So there may be a happy future for both beers if it doesn’t mellow.

In my case, last year’s Vienna I used Tettnanger, Saaz, and Hallertau. This year used Tett,Saaz, and Hersbruker. I thought last year’s version had a off-flavor that I couldn’t really identify, but it’s not there this year. Of course, I did use a different yeast as well, so that could have been it.[/quote]
Only thing different here is the hops. Same grist, process and yeast. I’ve used hersbrucker for flavor/aroma before so I’m guessing it’s the bittering charge that’s a little too much character for where I want this beer.

I blended half a glass of it with half of my czech pils which needed more bittering and it’s pretty damn tasty. So there may be a happy future for both beers if it doesn’t mellow.[/quote]
Had one for lunch today. I judged this beer too quickly. Must have pulled some yeast or hop matter off the bottom with the first couple pints.

Today it’s crystal clear with a very light hop and malt aroma and very tasty. Just a hint of spice and bitterness(ed.-sp.) from the hops. Perfect for washing down my burger and fries!

Well Matt and Danny I finally taped the Vienna, this beer is fantastic. Has a very nice lacing in the glass the head doesn’t stay long malty up front and little dry in the finish. Definitely will brew this again. Thanks again for sharing recipe with us Matt.

Awesome. Glad you guys like it! Last time I made this, I screwed up the hops and didn’t realize that my AA’s were half what I estimated them to be. I’m currently struggling to drink it cause I have so many other tasty beers. I think next time I make this I will reduce the pils by half a pound and bump up the munich by half a pound to get a little more rich maltiness. To me it tastes just a little too thin and watery.

Just a thought have you checked out dogfish heads randell animal hop infuser I built one for beers that need a little more hop to them. They have instructions on site to build one. Might be something to check out

Just a thought have you checked out dogfish heads randell animal hop infuser I built one for beers that need a little more hop to them. They have instructions on site to build one. Might be something to check out[/quote]

This is more of a bitterness issue (or lack thereof). I’m not sure that would help

Just a thought have you checked out dogfish heads randell animal hop infuser I built one for beers that need a little more hop to them. They have instructions on site to build one. Might be something to check out[/quote]

This is more of a bitterness issue (or lack thereof). I’m not sure that would help[/quote]
I had a Munich helles that messed up once and ended up about 12 ibu ran through mine with some whole saaz hops and greatly improved the beer. Little fresh hop taste to it. I’m actually brewing Munich helles and what I call bohemin helles. 5 gallons of each. Same recipe just different hops and yeast. Guess that’s what made me think of it.

I have ten gallons of this Vienna that’s been in primary about two weeks now. I let it rise to ambient temp a few days ago so it’s sitting at about 68 right now. I don’t have kegs available for it or lagering space right now. I could rack to secondary and pump some CO2 on top of it and let it stay at 68 or move it to the garage which would be more like cellar temps but will be up and down because…March in Virginia…

Might be a few weeks before I free up space to lager. Any suggestions?

I don’t see any reason you can’t leave it in secondary for a little bit at room temp and lager when you have room. I’ve done this before with lagers with no noticeable negative impact.

Assuming the recipes in this thread are all grain?

Looking for a good rookie Vienna recipe.

[quote=“ChuckVug”]Assuming the recipes in this thread are all grain?

Looking for a good rookie Vienna recipe.[/quote]

It would be quite hard to make a very authentic vienna as extract since most of the flavor comes from vienna and munich malts. I’m not sure if Vienna LME even exists. Brewing Classic Style’s recipe is like 4lbs Pilsner LME, 4.5lbs Munich LME and steeping Carafa III to color (maybe 2 oz for 5 gallons). 1.5 oz hallertau at 60 and 0.5 oz of hallertau at 10.

Let us know how it turns out if you try it.

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“ChuckVug”]Assuming the recipes in this thread are all grain?

Looking for a good rookie Vienna recipe.[/quote]

It would be quite hard to make a very authentic vienna as extract since most of the flavor comes from vienna and munich malts. I’m not sure if Vienna LME even exists. Brewing Classic Style’s recipe is like 4lbs Pilsner LME, 4.5lbs Munich LME and steeping Carafa III to color (maybe 2 oz for 5 gallons). 1.5 oz hallertau at 60 and 0.5 oz of hallertau at 10.

Let us know how it turns out if you try it.[/quote]
Stumbled across this one from Palmer:

Malt Extracts / Additions:
4 lbs German Pilsner
2 lb Light DME
1 lb Amber DME

Steeping Grain:
8 oz Crystal 40L
4 oz Crystal 75L
4 oz Crystal 120L

Hops:
.5 oz Saaz – 45min
1.5 oz Saaz – 30min
.5 oz Northern Brewer – 10min

Clarifier – Whirlfloc (Use ½ - 1 Tablet) - 5

And Morebeer.com has this one:
Malt Extract
7lbs German Pilsner

Steeping grains:
4oz Caramunich
2os Carafa Special II

Hops:
1oz Perl - 60min
.5 oz Czech Saaz 1min

Whirlfloc 1/2 tab 5min

wow palmers sounds cloyingly sweet – one pound of crystal?

Agreed. Crystal has no place in a Vienna lager. Vienna’s should be malty but dry.

Agreed. Crystal has no place in a Vienna lager. Vienna’s should be malty but dry.[/quote]
Don’t know enough yet about the differences, so thanks for the heads up. I’ll try the other recipe, and see what happens .
:cheers:

I did the same thing with the hops. Didn’t look at the AAs till beer was in the fermenter. Just blindly followed my previous recipe that had hops with nearly twice the AAs. I still like the beer, but the difference in character is very noticable with a lack of crispness and sharpness in the mouthfeel and a more cloying finish. I won’t make this mistake again.

Cut me some slack I’m only going back 3 years…

I had a negra modelo on tap tonight and it was much more malty than I remembered that beer but still really light bodied. I was thinking it would make a great summer beer with some malt backbone. So I dug up this post. Mind sharing your recipe that reminded you of Negra?

I feel like there was a more recent thread on Negra Modelo but can’t seem to locate it.

Hey Danny,
Try this: www.brewtoad.com/recipes/black-friday-vienna
This was my 2013-2014 Vienna recipe that I was probably talking about back in 2015, and is the darkest of the batches. I’ve updated the recipe a couple times, which are also on brewtoad. My latest version earned a 3rd place BOS in the Portland Groundhog day competition last month, but it’s a lighter orange color.

1 Like

I tried making a Modelo Negra a while ago… I used (?) Omegas Mexican yeast… I would NEVER do that again… I will believe a good German lager, (838 yeast?) would be the cats meow… Sneezles61

1 Like