My infected American Amber Ale

This morning was thinking about what I still needed to throw out, bleach, or boil. Thought about my faucet over the sink. The faucet is vinyl tubing connected to a Y mixer for the hot and cold. The mixer hoses are black rubber. Could eventually harbor some bacteria. Replace it with garden hose fittings and clear vinyl. Easier and cheaper to replace on a regular basis.

(Off topic)
Little tom cat found my throw out pile of vinyl. Thought one piece would be a great toy. This cat likes to play fetch.

When I first saw the picture and started readingā€¦ well, I thought you where going to ā€œthrowā€ him out too!! :flushed: Sneezles61

Looks like you got a brew cat. Probably just give the faucet a bleach spray. You been watching to many sci-fi movies doubt your plumbing is infected.

I thought you were going to say you found the source of your infection! :joy:

Back in the day there was a myth that you couldnā€™t brew beer if you owned a cat or dog as it would automatically become infected.

The cat/dog or brew? :open_mouth: Sneezles61

Thanks loopie!
Real life intruded for awhile (work, then a health scare), and then I had some trouble getting into my account :confused:
Anyway, Iā€™m back (and still alive and brewing, and currently enjoying my 25 year solera Burton Stock Ale).
Cheers!

1 Like

I have a Brett solara going any tips

Iā€™ve been pretty lucky to keep mine going for as long as I have. No tips to offfer, only the obvious one which Iā€™m sure I donā€™t need to repeatā€¦and thatā€™s SANITATION. Keep every step of your process as super clean as possible, and be particularly careful about oxidation when transferring.

My solara keg has been sealed and I always push from another keg so oxidation is not a problem. At some point Iā€™ll have to push it out of the solera keg when the trub builds up. Sorry @flars for getting off the subject. I guess it may be related since Iā€™m trying to keep the Brett isolated so I wonā€™t have to go through the cleaning

This will be the last post for the infected topic. Iā€™m going back to brewing this weekend. Will do a pale ale Dead Ringer to have a bottle conditioned fully carbonated product a little faster to assess clean up and replacement efforts.

Post back the results in a new topic in about three weeks.

1 Like

One more post and then the waiting begins. Started a 5 gallon Chinook IPA yesterday. Looks good so far but then the two I dumped looked good on the second day of fermentation also.

Iā€™ve got my fingers and toes crossedā€¦ Maybe a tough few days walkingā€¦ Sneezles61

You wonā€™t look any differentā€¦trust me.

Funny I thought this post was closed. It lives

Oops I meant the post