My beer is not bubbling anymore!

I just checked with my new calibrated refractometer and got a reading of 6 Brix % and SG Wort of 1.023. I will do another reading but what does this mean. It has been fermenting now for exactly 8 days now.

Thanks!

Pat

The reading means you still have a bit of sugar left in the beer. If this is a kit, the instructions MAY tell you the expected final gravity (FG). If you know the expected FG, and if you are at the expected FG, you may be tempted to bottle now; DON’T do it.

The expected final gravity is an estimate. Wait for the real FG before you transfer to secondary or bottle! To find the real FG, take a hydrometer or refractometer reading, wait three days and take another reading. If the readings are the same, you have reached final gravity and can safely bottle the beer. If you bottle before you reach final gravity, the sugar remaining in the beer plus the priming sugar can produce enough CO2 to explode the bottles. From experience: exploding bottles can hurt and can require a visit to the ER.

3 Likes

You best pay attention to old dawg… He’s gnawed on few more bones than any of us! :grin: Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks old_dawg! I’ll wait and take another reading on Sunday afternoon!

Pat

1 Like

Remember to calculate the sg in the presence of alcohol, using a calculator.
This is what I got with your numbers:

2 Likes

Big difference. If you don’t use the calculator you won’t get a good reading with a refractometer once fermentation has started.

1.011 matches more closely with your picture of the flat beer with a few bubble islands. It’s probably done but check it another time to be sure if you’re bottling. If you’re kegging…I’d rack that puppy and get it chilled and gassed.

1 Like