OK here I am with results of my 1st brew day with my new BIABasket rig. I think it was a huge success actually. I conditioned and milled the grain at a 0.035" gap, and it looked good so I did not run it through the mill a second time. The mash was done in 40 minutes according to the iodine test, but I let it go 60 minutes. I had to apply a little propane heat every 20 minutes or so to keep it at 153F. The handful of trub is the material that got past the 800 micron grain basket, which I caught with a 400 micron hop filter. The recirculation worked well.....the injection pipe kept the wort moving throughout the mash. No problems with clogging at any time during the mash, or through the chiller. After 60 minutes I caught the bittering hop trub with the 400 micron filter, chilled the wort to 170F and did a 20 minute hop stand. I recirculated during the hop stand and the temperature dropped to 162F by the time it was done. Then I filtered out the hop trub again and chilled the wort to 65F into my fermentation vessel. I measured the cooled wort OG at 1.058, and came up with an efficiency of 85%. I am very happy with how this turned out.
Addendum of Lessons Learned;
1) I did not account for the water loss during the time heating to mash out temperature, and for the hop stand, which together totaled about 40 minutes. Although not at boiling temperature, there was still some loss, which explains why my volume into the fermenter was 5.25 gallons versus the goal 5.5 gallons. I plan to top off the fermenter to 5.5 gallons. This would also mean my OG value would decrease some, and my efficiency. I think I am probably still better than 80% on efficiency.
2) I added 48F grain to 163F water with a resulting mash temperature of 158F....too hot. Some stirring and fanning got it down to 153F in about 10 minutes. I'm sure this happened because my setup has a lot of mass (heavy duty burner frame and SS keggle), so there is a lot of thermal energy storage. Next time I'll use a lower water temperature, depending on grain temperature of course.
3) I have more sediment than I am happy with, which I am pretty sure is grain flower, in my end product. I believe I caught most of the hop trub with the 400 micron filter. I recirculated during the mash at full pump flow, resulting in little or no filtering of the grain bed. Next time I will slow down the recirculation rate near the end of the mash so that I can catch some more of the grain flour trub before mashing out.