Mini Kegs

Hey everybody. I am new to home brewing and I was wondering if anybody has used the mini keg system from NB. I don’t want to use bottles for packaging. I like the idea of the mini kegs because they are portable and fit nicely in the fridge. Any tips and tricks to know about them? Thanks!

Can you link to the system you’re looking at? Some mini kegs are single use.

ETA: Welcome to home brewing, and this forum! You’ll find a ton of useful information and people in this community.

If it’s the one gallon “soda” kegs… They’ll be quite easy for use and keeping clean and re-use… Probably use the little CO2 cartridges… Haven’t a clue about them, but what I’ve read… Should work fine… Please get the brew, in the keg cold first, then add CO2 (carbonate).
If you can’t really disassemble the keg… I’d steer clear…
Sneezles61

This is the mini keg system I was looking at. My main question about it is carbonation. Do I have to add the priming solution to the finished beer or does that small co2 cartridge carbonate the beer as well as aid in pouring?

They look cool but don’t understand why it says they need to be replaced after 6-8 uses. Looks easy enough to clean after popping the replaceable bungs. I’d try it why not. Report back

I think I will try it for the next batch. My buddy is kegging the current one and then putting it into crowlers for me.

I’d carbonate with sugar then serve with the cartridge. Easy and cheap.

1 Like

Do I put the priming solution in each keg or mix it with the batch before filling kegs? Also, do you know if the amount of priming solution is the same for the kegs versus the bottles?

I’d mix it with the full batch. You’ll want to stir very gently so as not to add oxygen to your beer. No bubbles no foam, very very gentle. Stir again a time or two while filling to keep the sugar solution distributed. No splashing as you transfer the beer from the fermenter to the kegs. rack it very slowly.

Priming amount is based upon vols of carbonation desired for the type of beer you’re priming. NB has a good calculator here Homebrew Priming Sugar Calculator

2 Likes

I agree with @dannyboy58 on priming with sugar. Those mini CO2 cartridges are only to push the beer during serving.
If it were me I would go with this kegging system. This way you can buy CO2 and force carb if you want. Plus the longevity of the kegs is better. And STACKABLE.

You could get a reconditioned 5 gallon keg and regulator for less than either of the options discussed in this thread…just sayin’…
Kegconnection has corny kegs for $40 right now.

1 Like

Kegs are in the future, but just don’t have space for a keg setup right now. I need to convert a fridge too.

1 Like

I like the idea of those mini’s . May take a few to get the carbonation right

1 Like

Brew Cat is on spot…
Sneezles61

They’re aluminum, and probably have a liner similar to cans.

I guess now I like them less

2 Likes