Mead Making Short Pour - From the Northern Brewer blog

I do not know if I have tried a dry mead, so I may just let it do its thing. How long does it need? 6 months?

In my experience, just until it clears. Some people age it for a year or more to take care of the ā€œhotā€ alcohol flavors, i.e., fusels. Keep temperature around 70F, add yeast nutrient (like you already did), and pitch enough yeast, and youā€™ll be fine. But bottle it when you like the flavor.

Dry mead to me tastes a lot like dry sake. A bit of an acquired taste, but well worth acquiring.

It is bubbling like crazy for days! Will report back when it clears!

1 Like

Doesnā€™t look like anyone has hit this post in years, but hereā€™s hoping someone is still out there paying attention. Iā€™d really like to nail down the process of mead making, but Iā€™m getting information overload from all the posts to the point I donā€™t even know where to start and I donā€™t want to lose interest before I even get started.

Donā€™t laugh, but I ended up here because I bought the Elder Scrolls Cookbook and it covers making three different styles of mead so I thought Iā€™d give it a go. I followed the process and theyā€™ve been sitting for a couple weeks now, but after I started reading up on it I realize there is SO much more to this than the book talked about that Iā€™m guessing itā€™ll be a total stroke of luck if any of them turn out.

The instructions where super high level and didnā€™t go into any real details about the how and when to do a lot of the things Iā€™ve read about. I have no idea what next steps should be with what Iā€™ve done so far. The books states the version with berries is best after two weeks, but they could all sit for three months. Seems like thereā€™s a lot of things I should be monitoring and processes I should be doing to ensure a good result.

HALP!

Making mead is relatively simple. One thing ive learned is the longer you let it sit. And the person that told you 2 weeks is steering you wrong. I only make 1 gallon batches and experiment with flavors. That will give yo 5 wine bottles. I sometimes have 2 or 3 going at once. I leave them in the fermenter until they clear, racking with nutrient whenever the sediments build up which takes a couple months. Then bottle and age. I always save at least 1 bottle for long term aging. If you want a fast turnaround beer would be the way to go. Im not saying you canā€™t drink young mead but it is one thing that i can say for certain gets better as it ages

1 Like

I suspected that there was more to it than the book let on. It was a little confusing to read ā€œup to three monthsā€ of fermentation, then read in the next paragraph that one of the three types was best sample while young at two weeks. I was likeā€¦so which is it? I ran with the directions and got the three different types working away. Itā€™s been two weeks as of yesterday and Iā€™ve not touched them. Iā€™m in no rush, just want to make sure I treat them properly so they at least turn out average for the first time.

1 Like

There is how youā€™ll find out which will be yer preferred Meadā€¦ Learning from X-beermenting is a very fun side show to these hobbies!
Do keep us in the loopā€¦ Perhaps some of us may give mead a tryā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

I had a mead period in my brewing and was very dissatisfied initially. Then I sat one some bottles for a couple years and those bottles were amazing.

Check out BOMM on the NB forum. I followed that program and had good mead at a couple months. Had some of that batch that was a couple years old and ohhhhh mmmmmaaannnnnā€¦,

1 Like

@JohnSpartan117 welcome to the forum. Donā€™t be afraid to ask any question, no matter if you think itā€™s ā€˜stupid.ā€™ We all got a start at this hobby one way or another. I fell into it after my wife sat on a wine kit for a couple years.

3 Likes