Mattnaik's Vienna Lager revisited

I think it is similar except that you would be using domestic malt and it’s an ale

1 Like

I was thinking Amber might be formatted to our ways of doing things… Bastardized Vienna?
So could you do the Amber then and use a lager yeast…? Just thinking about different ways to look at a brew…
Sneezles61

Then you would have a Boston Lager

1 Like

I’ve not thought highly of SA… but then, how long has it been in the bottle/away from the brew kettle, before I got to drink one…? Maybe its good right at the brewery…
Sneezles61

It is. It is also like many beers better on tap. I occasionally brew a clone. Very simple beer. 90% 2row 10% crystal malt 60L and Mittelfrüh hops. What’s not to like

4 Likes

I got a sack of Vienna yesterday… So now to plan a brew day once my fermenter is free…
Heres an idea of my first round…
8 lbs Vienna
1 lbs flaked maize
1lbs wheat
2 oz chocolate wheat
Hops… well… I’ve some mittelfrau…
Any input…?
sneezles61

2 Likes

Sounds good mittelfruh would work

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ll have a nice beer there.

That makes gravity 1.057 at 8 gallons…
Sneezles61

Dec 31-2020
Today IS brew day… AND water tinkering…
Sneezles61
EDIT: I had one hell of a time deciffering stuff… Some have what the other have… and then too much fer what you want…
Edit: So there are 2 parts to water…

1. acidic pH for mash
  2. flavoring “salts”
1 Like

So how did your brewday go?

Apparently napping

2 Likes

It was a bit longer… I didn’t figure the math would’ve been so involved…
My OG was 1.047… I see just now, the water is half way down the blow off tube… so the yeast are getting underway.
I am curious to see how this turns out…
I have a good friend that is a retired science teacher… I’m doing my best to get him to be the water man… Maybe he can translate this foreign language? :grin:
Sneezles61
EDIT: I cut my water in half… then added back the amount that is good for this style of beer… !/4 gram salt… How did I measure that? 100 ml’s, then switch to grams, I can only read 1"s on our scale :smirk: add the 1 gram and make sure its well mixed… save 25 ml’s… Having to switch grams to ml’s that far into the game just wasn’t going to happen…

1 Like

Grams and milliliters are a 1 to 1 conversion. No math there.

There is the milliEquivalent factor as ml/Liter… g/per gallon… So then using ml/L I’d had to figure what that difference is… But I don’t know much about this whole area…
Sneezles61

Almost 48 hours… Its just about to start burping… It did get to upper 40*F… so I’ll think it being too cold for a bit could be the culprit…
Sneezles61

Probably easy to overchill things up there in Winter, I remember when I was last in Duluth area during February '09, the water coming out of the pipes in the hotel was freaking freezing.

1 Like

And sooo good too!!
Sunday: Stats: gravity at 1.039, Freez-mentor temp sez 52F, and Tilt sez its 57F… All appears good…
Sneezles61
Monday EDIT: Grav… 1.018. Temp: tilt@58F… controller@52F…
I just unplugged the freez-mentor… It’ll stay cool for a long time…
Tuesday EDIT: 1.011 and tilt temp 62F…
Wed: 1.010 and tilt temp at 65
F…
EDIT: 1.010 and tilt temp at 66F… Now is time to remove the fermenter from the freez-mentor… I’ll say its ready for lagering phase now…
EDIT: 1.009… 67
F… into the keg! Sample sure seemed very smooth… Now to wait a whole month… The challenge begins!

Oh crap, forgot to reply… Keg kicked last night… I was a very good brew… But needs a bit more “flavor”… maybe add some biscuit to enhance it? I’ve got some pictures… I’ll need to get them on this PC gizmo…
Sneezles61

1 Like