Mattnaik's Vienna Lager revisited

From here on out I’m brewing… BEER!.. Albeit dark, strong, small, orange, golden, hoppy, malty…lager yeast… and ale yeast… I hope I didn’t miss some? I’m not going to compete or start a brewery for the public… Just me and my taste buds… buddy! :wink: Sneezles61

1 Like

Drinking this now…super good :slightly_smiling_face:

Picture? Sneezles61

Soon…it needs to lager some more.

1 Like

3 Likes

Looks darker and red-er-er than mine. Looks tasty though!

I was hoping for slightly lighter…but meh :grinning:

1 Like

Ifn you don’t like, I’ll come over and drink it for you!:grin: Sneezles61

This keg wont be around long :grinning:

1 Like

Sooo, you aint have me over to quaff a few? hhhmmm? Sneezles61

I gotta be selfish sometimes :innocent:

1 Like

I lived in Vienna for my 20th year of life. I wish I could go back to that time a drink knowing what I know now. My clearest take-away from drinking in Vienna was Sturm season (Federweisser - Wikipedia) and the fact that you could get a Brat at anytime on the street. They had a spike that they shoved the bun on and warmed/toasted the inside then inserted the brat into the bun. Makes our slicing of the the hot-dog bun seem barbaric.

I’m thinking this beer will be in the on deck circle after I brew The Plinian Legacy this next week…Found a great article on Vienna Lagers in my inbox: Can’t wait to brew!

2 Likes

Now that is an interesting article considering I have both a Bass clone and Vienna lager tapped now. Another thing mentioned is the long lagering time in which I totally agree whenever I make my Vienna or any lager for that matter they just keep getting better until the keg is empty.

3 Likes

Vienna Lager definitely benefits from longer lager times. I can drink my pils as soon as it’s carbed up and enjoy it. Takes at least a month of cold conditioning before I enjoy the Vienna. Before that it’s kind of sweet.

Have tried making one with 100% Vienna?
Sneezles61

56% Vienna malt in my most recent Vienna last year.

1 Like

I thought I did once but i just looked back through my brew log and couldn’t find any proof. haha. Mine is typically about 60% vienna, 25-30ish pils and the rest dark munich. It’s been 3 years since I brewed a vienna and I actually have a couple gallons of that in a keg still in my basement. Got kind of burned out on it. It fell into that category of overly malty beers for my taste. I’ve honestly been drinking only pils, helles and IPAs for a couple of years now with the exception of a dark beer here or there. May be time to brew it again with a little different focus…maybe drop the munich and bitter it a little more.

1 Like

I brew one every year probably not my favorite but definitely drinkable. I much prefer Bock and Pilsner.

1 Like

so, how would American Amber be in comparison to Vienna?
Sneezles61