Mash tun insulation

Not a new idea with the reflective insulation but I thought I came up with a clever way to hold it together. Only did 2 wraps as from what I understand an air gap is need between layers for increased r value. Luckily I thought about it before just cutting it straight at the last wrap. Made extended straps and cut a couple slits to pull it through.

2 Likes

Looks good! From my understanding the air gap is necessary. Be careful if that’s a direct fired MT.

1 Like

And it’s nice to see you around here again. If I remember correctly you just had a baby so hope all is well. I can say personally, fatherhood is the most rewarding thing in life.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes it’s been awhile. Twins and yes it certainly is rewarding. Wouldn’t change a thing!

2 Likes

That’s right I thought it was twins! Just wasn’t sure. Glad all is well!

If the kettle goes on a burner, the foil bubble stuff might melt on you at the bottom. Great innovative use of the stuff though.
Years ago I used the same kind of idea to make a Zapap double bucket lauter tun into a mash lauter tun. I cut strips of Styrofoam and wrapped them around the outside bucket then duct taped around.

OK without Google, who knows what a Zapap is?

No idea what a Zapap is. Yeah I’m sure it would melt. Last batch I did end up slightly lifting the bag and applying some heat but didn’t really have a good insulation setup. If I have to heat with this still I’ll just unwrap it. Might be a small headache but shouldn’t be too bad with only 2 wraps.

Also thinking I might make a wider cylinder with a capped end as another layer with an air space. Something taller and wider that it slips over top the whole setup.

I just put a sleeping bag over mine…ghetto I know…but it works.

I get tired just thinking about babies…I helped my 23 year old “baby” move to a new condo this weekend and put together a bunch of IKEA furniture for her…just glad i didn’t have to go to that fricking store! Enjoy this time, as old farts love to say, it goes by SO quickly.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that Charlie P’s mash tun? I"ll have to google the correct spelling of his name.:wink:

Yes , I believe that’s what Papa P. called his mashtun/lauter system design- 2 plastic buckets, the inside one has drilled holes. If I remember right, he describes it, maybe with pictures, in the ‘Joy of Homebrewing’.

I actually did know what a Zapsp was. I too simply insulate my MT with a fleece blanket. I find it highly effective if I don’t have a lot of headspace.

Yup Charlie Papazian. I still have his book The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Back then if I wanted a sack of malt my LHBS had to order one. They didn’t have enough AG customers to stock it.

I went from the Zapap to a round cooler with a pizza pan for a false bottom to a converted Sanke keg with a home made “bazooka” and foil bubble wrap insulation, yes I burned it on the bottom. Now it’s a 25 gallon SS kettle MT with no insulation. Even after an hour it only loses a few degrees. Since most everything that happens in the mash happens in the first 15 min. or so there is no problem.

1 Like