Mash hopping

Be kinda cool if you get more perceived bitterness with less hops using a mash addition.

This is twisting my mind. Coolaid ipa. Got lots of this stuff at my house my grandson does not like. Cocacola. But drinks cool aid. What about. Gingerale. Later on into the mash. Say the last ten min. Just heat it up to strike temp. And add during sparge. Think strike temp. Will hold the flav of gingerale. If you boil it it will kill all the ginger flav

I think it was back in 2008 byo had a recipe for mountain dew beer. I think it used 4 gallons of mountain dew added to the boil. And 3.5 gallons of wort. I would think that Ginger ale could be done the same way. Another option would be making a reduction with the ginger ale adding it to the end of the boil or after primary fermentation. Ginger ale candy syrup.

Thats a idea. Say my boil. 7.5 gal. Normaly end up with 6 gall wort. So me boil. 5 gal wort add about 10 min before end my gingerale. So end up with my 6 gal of wort end of boil

I think I’d just put fresh ginger in the beer rather than all the crap that’s in a soda…

Hey you kids get off my thread

3 Likes

yasser!!

Back on topic. I brewed an all centennial IPA today just doing my strike water/mash hop addition and layered in some at whirlpool. We shall see. I added the hops to the strike water steeped at 170 to 180 while I adjusted my temperature. Then I put in my bag and proceeded as normal. When I pulled the bag I scraped the hop material that was on the bag back into the wort. The mash with the hops smelled exquisite. Mash temp was 152. Then I finished brewing as normal. Time will tell. I’ve made a similar beer with normal hop additions. Time will tell

1 Like

I’m just curious… Was there a pH reading? Sneezles61

I still haven’t ordered one. But I adjusted the pH with some lactic acid. If I’m happy with the results I may add this to my IPA brewing routine and I promise I will get a new meter and test for you

1 Like

I’m still so curious if or any contribution… It would show on your meter… right? Sneezles61
EDIT, I know… do one me self…

Okay going to the keg today. Had a taste was bitter enough but wouldn’t know it calculated at 83 ibu. Some of the hops material I’m sure got pulled with the bag but most stayed behind. Very flavorful I like to believe some of the flavor is from the mash infusion. Some say no but I’m running trials to test my theory. I’m pretty much done adding bittering hops to the boil. I’ll do this again doing FWH. Im brewing another batch of MMD today with only FWH to compare to the original that had the mash hops( bottled a few and hid them)

2 Likes