Malt substitute question

Hey guys I have a recipe that calls for .5lbs for triticale malt but my local homebrew shop does not carry it does anyone know a good substitute that I could use.

Triticale is a wheat/ rye hybrid, So you would substitute wheat and rye malts. In this case .25lb of each

1 Like

I learned something new. What type of beer are you making with it ?

There’s not a lot of info out there on Triticale malt. It’s an old hybrid,19th century.

I’ve heard that word being thrown around… Thanks to Squeegee, I know what it is now! :grin:
Sneezles61

I’m brewing a trillium inspired pale ale. Here is what I’m working with.

10lbs - Pale 2-Row (Malt)
0.5lbs - Rye (Malt)
0.5lbs - Triticale (Malt)
0.5lbs - White Wheat (Malt)
6g - Calcium Chloride (Brewing Salt)
1oz - Mosaic (Kettle Hops, 0 min)
4oz - Mosaic (Dry Hop)
2.5oz - Citra (Dry Hop)
2.5oz Galaxy (Dry Hop)
Yeast Nutrient (15 min)
1tsp - Irish Moss (Fining Agent)
British Ale (Yeast)

I will question the CaCl… 6 grams… Do you know your water make up?
Sneezles61

2 Likes

That is a lot of calcium chloride. Agree with @sneezles61, unless you have a water report or know how that will affect the beer I would not use it.

6 grams of sugar for comparison. Because I’m out of calcium chloride. I dunno could be ok. I agree that you shouldn’t just add it without knowing your water first.

The CaCl has a bit more “horse power” than sugar…(flavor wise) I know it looks minuscule…
Sneezles61

I’ve put "cap full"s into brews. I cannot measure that now gm wise since I don’t have any. I’m not sure I ever noticed it… I know you are sensitive though.
1 gram gives you 72 ppm Ca+2 and 127 ppm Cl-1
I think I stopped using calcium carbonate almost completely, maybe a little in dark beers.
I’m more inclined to using calcium chloride for hoppy beers.

https://scottjanish.com/chasing-mouthfeel-softness/

1 Like

I was questioning it too when I read it but I took it right off trilliums website. I’ve always been careful with recipes that call out specific water chem. Not everyone’s is the same.

2 Likes

Calcium chloride enhances malty flavors, calcium sulfate enhances hoppy brews. Chalk has largely been replaced by pickling lime(easier to use).

@sneezles61 is a sensitive guy :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks. I always switch those purposes in my mind for some reason since a tend for the soft mouthfeel. I wonder what sharpness would do to a Brett beer since they are soft on their own.