Malt Extract Syurp

Should or could I sit the Malt Extract Syurp in hot water before use to make it easier to pour so that I get most of it out

1 Like

It was along time ago but, I used to add hot water to the can and swirl it to git even more… don’t forget to wear an oven mitten! Sneezles61

1 Like

Yes, and rinse the container throughly. I used to add maybe an inch of warm tap water, cap and shake the bottle. Watch it, it gets pressurized. Dump it in the kettle, and repeat until the bottle is clean. Try not to lose the boil, in the kettle.

No fermentables left behind, man!!

1 Like

No problem warming the extract in hot tap water. Big problem if you would use the microwave though. Extract will cook rapidly in the microwave, either the jug will explode or burn.

The half full jug can be filled with hot wort when adding half the extract near the end of the boil. Stir the hot wort into the remaining extract with the handle of a long wooden spoon. Super easy to pour and cool enough to hold safely by the end of the boil.

I’m not recommending everyone do this, but I actually turn the heat up when adding the thinned extract at the end of the boil. The whirlpool I keep going throughout the pour cools the wort rapidly. I can be back at full boil three minutes after adding the extract. The whirlpool collects undissolved extract at the center of the kettle. Be sure to stir in the center also if you do this.

The Dead Ringer IPA -Add the malt extract syrup (1.5 lbs. Gold) and the first hop addition (3.5 grams Centennial ) at the beginning of the boil; stir to dissolve and boil for the full 45 minutes… You stated to add half at the end of the boil … What’s the difference in adding half the extract at the beginning and half towards the end of the boil besides adding it all at once

Late extract addition, especially with LME, reduces the effect of the Maillard Reaction. Your beer will be lighter in color than when adding all the extract at the beginning of the boil.

The Maillard Reaction is what adds to the browning of your toast. The sugars in the bread are darkened by the heat of the toaster.

1 Like

If your kettle has a spigot you can (with and oven mit) drain some hot wort into the jug or can. I mostly did this with canned wort where there was no danger of the plastic becoming soft enough to have a problem. Back in the day there weren’t plastic jugs of LME.

It is easy enough to just fill the sink, a bucket or something with hot tap water to heat up the container while your water is getting up to boiling.

1 Like

I always put the extract bottle into a bucket with hot tap water while the kettle is heating up, works great.

1 Like

I too warmed extract in a separate kettle full of water…then after I added to boil I used tongs and dunk it in and out of the boil to get it all out.

1 Like

Geez, I forgot that extract comes in plastic jugs. They were in tin cans when I last used them… Sneezles61

Yes watch the pressure when rinsing with hot water/shake. That was a shocker all three times, in a row, that I let that happen. I’re smart. I don’t put the caps back on now.

1 Like