Making cider without fermentation?

Hi! My friends and I want to make cider as a fun activity. I started looking for instructions and found out about fermentation, which I know nothing about. It looks like a fun challenge, but from what I’ve seen it requires some equipment we don’t have and there are a lot of ways it could wrong for someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing like me.

I was wondering if, to keep things simple, we could make non-hard cider (like in this guide, for example), then mix it with some alcoholic drink (rum? arak?). Has anyone tried this before? Can it work or will it just turn out badly?

Thanks a lot!

Not sure i understand. You can buy the apple juice in the store. Do you mean you want it carbonated ? You could probably do it with a soda stream device

Sorry :sweat_smile: I want it to be alcoholic, from what I’ve seen in tutorials you’re supposed to add yeast and then do the fermentation thing, and I’m looking for an easier way.
(I’m also gonna try using my sodastream, thanks for that tip).

Anyway I found out that there are a lot of ways to mix cider with alcohol (and that it’s called “spiking”), which is just what I was looking for. But thanks anyway!

Of course you can ‘spike’ cider to make a hard cider. It likely won’t taste as good as naturally fermented hard cider and it will be sweet like the original cider but by all means go for it.

My wife adds Fireball whisky to store bought cider sometimes. It’s pretty tasty. I see no reason not to try “spiking” cider with your choice of distilled spirits. Carbonating it would be a plus.

What i like is hot mulled cider with a bit of spiced rum