making a mash tun

[quote=“Vulkin’”]Thanks for the clear up.

I once spent a few years as a chemistry teacher (now I clean up warfare related contamination). One thing I learned about myself was that if I detail out a process I am far more lilkely to understand it well. I think I have the Batch method mostly down but I do still have a grey area or two. I plan to post a detailed step by step of the process and am hoping I can get you guys to tech edit it. This will serve two functions. As I am at the close to idiot stage of brewing this should yeild an idiot proof (difficult to acheive as idiots are rather inovative) instruction set that anyone could pick up and use. Second and totally selfeshly it may prevent me from screwing up because I have made an incorrect assumption.

Barry[/quote]
That part about the idiots, thats aimed at me, isn’t it?

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Vulkin’”] I see a kettle with a “wort Pickup tube”. Noone ever seems to mention this part or its use (the tube). Soooo - what is it for? Is this a convenience or something I really need is the further question I suppose.[/quote]The tube forms a siphon, allowing you to suck all the wort out of the kettle. Without it, the flow will stop as soon as the level drops to the bottom of the valve - you can then tilt the kettle to keep it flowing, but there’s a limit. And the tube also allows you to draw from the edge of the kettle (or from under a screen), so you can pull sediment-free wort if that’s important to you.[/quote]Here is a video I just posted on youtube of my last batch where I was pumping the last little bit out of the BK from a 25 gallon batch of Rye IPA. This is over a pound of hops. Last 1/2 gallon of wort

[/quote]
Greg, your set up is exactly like mine: a copper pick up tube bent at a right angle to the valve. In fact, I most likely copied your design…
:cheers:

This is mine, worked great last sunday

[quote=“SteveO”]This is mine, worked great last sunday
[/quote]
Interesting. So when you drain your tun you tip it back AWAY from the valve? How much liquid is left over?

I didn’t tip it at all, there wasnt much wort left in the bottom. I should have measured it. I put a piece of copper with drilled holes on the bottom and on out side of the tubing. Then with the piece of toilet braid. I used Dennys Idea for about 5 batches before that.

Test run with water worked well, left about a quart or more behind with the drain being higher then the manifold, but still worked well. here is the pic. of finished manifold, not soldered as of yet may try without first.

When you mash a lot of that space will be filled with grain so you will have less liquid left than you think…

John

@ MullerBrau, I also looked at your website, nice bar!

Couldn’t help but notice on the wall: ‘Fosters, Australian For Beer’ - That’s a piece of beer history, I don’t think a Fosters stubbie has been seen in Australia since the 70’s :wink:

[quote=“Foxy74”]@ MullerBrau, I also looked at your website, nice bar!

Couldn’t help but notice on the wall: ‘Fosters, Australian For Beer’ - That’s a piece of beer history, I don’t think a Fosters stubbie has been seen in Australia since the 70’s :wink: [/quote]Thanks. My neighbor gave me the sign years ago because it was too big for his basement.

Hi all,

Between the posts and links provided in this thread, I’m finally feeling confident that I can make a mash tun and will make the SS braided variety the next month or so. Still, I have a few quick questions:

I have an old cooler that would be perfect for this purpose, but the tab that holds the top shut broke off a few months ago. I figure it will still create a decent seal as is or with a heavy object on top, but thought I’d get feedback just in case. Thoughts?

Also, as this is an old cooler, I’m wondering how much effort I need to put into cleaning it. Should I bother with bleaching it prior to first use, or is soap and water enough?

Finally, regarding mashing in general, is it necessary to sanitize a mash tun, or does it just have to be relatively clean since mashing is pre-boil?

My “new” 6 year old MT has several scratches from stirring with a SS spoon. I don’t do anything but a clean water rinse it out when done.

I would think a good scrubbing with soap and water would be fine. If you like, you could fill it with a bleach/water/vinegar
http://hw.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390da96899933961/bbr03-29-07.mp3?sid=69daa1f7e4366c68718c03f40fe9402d&l_sid=18257&l_eid=&l_mid=1511169&expiration=1329851699&hwt=a750423ca5dbd1c88ee0b37b8b08d174
sanitizing solution for the 1st time out.

There are enough bacteria in the grain that sanitizing the MT before use would be a waste of time. :wink: Just spray the cob webs out before use.

Cool, thanks, we make water/vinegar/dish soap and water/vinegar/bleach solutions for almost all of our cleaning purposes, so I’ll just use one of those.

Maybe I’ll just do a trial run with hot water, both with and without something resting on top, to see how well it holds heat. I can’t imagine it’ll be a problem, though.

Good point about the grains!

[quote=“ickyfoot”]Cool, thanks, we make water/vinegar/dish soap and water/vinegar/bleach solutions for almost all of our cleaning purposes, so I’ll just use one of those.

Maybe I’ll just do a trial run with hot water, both with and without something resting on top, to see how well it holds heat. I can’t imagine it’ll be a problem, though.

Good point about the grains![/quote]
Keep in mind that a cooler filled with hot water will drop in temp faster than a cooler filled with grains in hot water. Your trial run may not give you accurate results.

I like this for batch sparging, and just prop up the back end of the mash/lauter tun towards the end of the runoff to drain nearly every drop. I can also stir with my mash paddle on both sides of the Bazooka Screen without touching it, and it’s in there very sturdy. I occasionally had problems with slow runoff and clogging with hose braid, but this has worked flawlessly for years.

i like the simple design of this type of mash tun. should work with fly sparging too , won’t it?

[quote=“zudnik”]i like the simple design of this type of mash tun. should work with fly sparging too , won’t it?[/quote]Yes it will work with fly sparging.

[quote=“SteveO”]This is mine, worked great last sunday
[/quote]

is this just a copper tubing with a tubing sleeve jammed thru the existing drain?
I know I crammed just tubing thru there once to drain into a pail but that was cold water. never leaked a single drop.

Yes, works great, even just the tubing shoved in the drain it never leaked when masking in.

OK, took the plunge and here’s what I came out with:

Here’s a detail shot of the in-line valve:

I tested the seal yesterday and there were no leaks. I was also able to drain all but 1 quart of water by using a 2x4 to prop up the end opposite the drain.

Total cost was maybe $20. Awesome. Thanks to Denny[/url] and [url=http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm]Don Osborn
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
for the idea and build instructions. My implementation is closer to Don’s than Denny’s.

Can’t wait to put it to use next weekend!

[quote=“ickyfoot”]OK, took the plunge and here’s what I came out with:

Here’s a detail shot of the in-line valve:

I tested the seal yesterday and there were no leaks. I was also able to drain all but 1 quart of water by using a 2x4 to prop up the end opposite the drain.

Total cost was maybe $20. Awesome. Thanks to Denny[/url] and [url=http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm]Don Osborn
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
for the idea and build instructions. My implementation is closer to Don’s than Denny’s.

Can’t wait to put it to use next weekend![/quote]

looks good, it should make good beer. good luck to ya.