Maibock time

And now for a resurrection … I will brew Mia bock tomorrow… equal amounts of pale malt and Vienna… I’ve got Saaz, Tettnag for hops… Since my water is hard, I will dilute with equal amount of RO, then build up to balance sulfide to chloride… Now the one fork in the brew… I will use my Australian ale yeast… Then I will lager it… Am I going to get kicked out of here? Sneezles61

1 Like

Australian ale yeast!? For a maibock?! Yeah, you’re outta here!!! :wink:

Seriously… let us know how awesome it turns out. I’m sure it will be great. Cheers.

2 Likes

Have to change the name though. Maybe a mayalebock. I don’t know

Mai aussiebock would be a good name. Also for the mexican lager one Marzobock

1 Like

Malebock?

Thatsnotaknifebock.

3 Likes

Into the Outbock

1 Like

A weizenbock is an ale. So aussiebock is the name I came up with, independent of @damian_winter (cheers mate!).

The Germans would disagree with that. Keep an eye out, if you keep talking like that they might come after you!

I don’t believe a German could disagree even if he wanted to. Weizenbock is in fact an ale. Well, he could try I guess, or insist upon being wrong, or something. I’m fine with being wrong sometimes too.

BJCP guidelines refer to it as an ale.

The BJCP doesn’t recognize the fact that “ale” is a categorization used in English, Belgian, French, and US brewing traditions, but not in Germany. They would not have categorized ale versus beer, or ale versus lager. Bit of a pet peeve of mine, but I think we should respect the distinctions of a particular culture, and not apply our own rules just because that’s how we do it here.

So traditionally, German brewing would include four categories of top-fermented beer, grätzer, süssbier/einfachbier, weissbier, and lagerbier/bitterbier. (Rant over) :beers:

1 Like

You can always tell a German you just can’t tell him much

2 Likes

Whew! Nice brew day… Gravity was spot on 1.064… Pitched yeast at 2… bubbling away at 7 in my new Anvil fermenting bucket! And I do have a name… My Bock… EH? Sneezles61

4 Likes

I put in 2 oz of zuper Saazer hops 3 days ago… Now its cold crashing… Keg Thursday? Sneezles61

so you DH’d your mai ale? interesting…

I want a little more to it, and DH helps it along… Sneezles61

I had a German pale ale with oak at New England Brewery in New Haven last weekend that was tasty. Didn’t really taste the oak but it was more hoppy than a traditional German style. Not surprised as they are noted for their IPAs

Sampled some… Its got a spicy back ground, malt forward… Very good brew… Now to let it sit… maybe. Sneezles61

Good luck with that. How many gallons did you brew?