Low Pre-boil Gravity

My water TA is 114 so I always acidify the sparge water. Also helps when I’m shooting for a particular kettle pH.

It depends on your water. My batch sparge pH behaves as rebuilt noted. Your data may only apply to your situation.[/quote]

Agreed and happy it works for you but that means batch sparging pH depends on water just like fly sparging…[/quote]

Which is why I now say batch sparging reduces the chance of pH problems, rather than eliminating them.

It depends on your water. My batch sparge pH behaves as rebuilt noted. Your data may only apply to your situation.[/quote]

Same here.
Gotta say that switching to the ‘batch sparge’ around two or three years ago (after more than 30 years of stubbornly doing it the other way) has had a significant effect on my results, in both efficiency and end results.
(Thanks, Denny :mrgreen: )

Same here.
Gotta say that switching to the ‘batch sparge’ around two or three years ago (after more than 30 years of stubbornly doing it the other way) has had a significant effect on my results, in both efficiency and end results.
(Thanks, Denny :mrgreen: )[/quote]

Welcome to the club!

This info is awesome, thanks! I guess I should start to delve into the realm of checking my water pH… It’ll happen sooner or later. Best to learn when it’s not going to be too much of an issue to begin with.

Sorry to derail the thread. Getting back to it, I think failing to fully drain was main culprit as suggested. Acidfying sparge also helps this, minimizes tannin extraction, and sets up overall pH for the brew. Depending on your water of course. :cheers: