Looks like I did a Ready, Fire, Aim.... maybe too much for my mash tun

When I believe Im at FG… I unplug the freez-mentor, open the lid and walk away for a few days… even a week, if Im busy
Sneezles61

Yeah well im fermenting the S-23 ambient because my chamber crapped out. Its 48° with internal 55°. Ill monitor it in the garage because its going single digits tonight.

I’d go by the advertised range from the yeast manufacturer, regardless what the recipe says. Maybe they had no way to keep it cooler or just considered it fine at ale temps. Probably would be fine but cooler is usually better with lager yeasts iIME.

Thanks, I just checked the specs and they say its good from 50-65 deg f so I guess I am safe anyway.

1 Like

I seriously doubt you would notice much yeast off flavor in a beast like a Baltic Porter. My theory is the upper end may get a bit more attenuation and the cold end a bit less. Thats just a guess though

1 Like

Thanks, I bumped it back up to 64 to finish, the Tilt reading seems to indicate its about done. I will give it a few more days and then keg it up and start the “wait clock”. Letting the porters sit a while definitely has an effect as the batch that was thought to have an aftertaste … now seems very smooth. Of course its just about gone now.

Now since we are talking Baltic Porter i need to brew. I have a recipe for this one. I’ve brewed it a few times i don’t keg it i bottle conditioned it let it age

That looks good. I will have to check those guys out, I think they are about 30 miles from my house. That is a great idea regarding the bottling. I may do that with this batch just so I don’t take up kegerator space. I will carb it in the keg and bottle from there. The ABV is high for me so its not like I am going to sit and drink a half dozen of them in one evening. At least I hope not. Do you think its important that they condition super cold? If so I will need to keep them in my fermenting chamber freezer. Which is ok as my basement is perfect Ale fermenting temp right now.
Supposed to get warmer here this Saturday so I am going to brew a quick CITRA session IPA to be on tap in the short term while I wait for these other two batches to be ready.

1 Like

My advice on this one is…if you think you’re going to drink it fast, bottle up at least two bombers and save them for a year or longer. When you drink them you’ll wish you had let more age.

1 Like

I will try to hide a few in the basement. I think I just need to keep brewing to take the the focus off this batch. Just made a starter for a fast batch of Kama CITRA IPA. Oktoberfest is lagering away (ready in 4 weeks or so) and it feels like maybe I have a half dozen pints of coffee choc porter & Festivus Miracle on the taps. Should prob whip up an Irish red as well. That should give me a buffer. I hope…

You put yer next brew on an Ale yeast cake, and it will get done very fast…
Sneezles61

I just pitched the yeast so I am looking forward to having this beer on tap in a few weeks, which will help me stay patient for the others aging gracefully.
I have to dry hop this Kama CITRA IPA ( recipe from our host), my notes from the last batch of this say I dry hopped about 4 days into fermentation directly into the fermenter. I don’t even remember doing this, but i know the beer came out great. I guess I will do that again with this batch. Then I will have to start thinking about what will be next for a brew.

1 Like

I looked at our host’ black lager… Im interested…
Sneezles61

You know I’ve never brewed a schwarzbier …
Something to look into brewing, although my bock in the fermenter is moderately dark. I’ll have to read up on that style, here:

I’ve brewed Schwarzbier a number of times. It’s one of my favorite styles when done right. Kostritzer being the bar by which others are measured IMHO.

1 Like

de-bittered black malt a key?
Sneezles61

1 Like

I have lots of thoughts on that style but this isn’t the place for them. Revive an appropriate thread if you want to get into it.

Well that Baltic Choc / Molasses Porter came out really good. I bottled up a few gallons and the last “half” bottle was my sample. At first I thought it was a bit lackluster but then realized I had it sitting at 35 deg for the lagering . When I let it warm a bit in the glass, the flavors really came throughindent preformatted text by 4 spaces. indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

I am going to have to brew another batch of this to bottle up and store away in the cellar. I ended up promising the majority of this batch to my local beer fans. Very smooth and “warming”.

4 Likes

Now that beer should be in the lacing thread. Awesome lacing. Looks delicious!

1 Like

Yes it will be very difficult to leave it alone for very long.